Dean of Students seeks 2007 undergraduate Commencement speaker
Each dean of undergraduate schools and colleges at Temple may nominate one undergraduate student to be this year’s undergraduate Commencement speaker. A letter of endorsement must accompany the application.
Student applications are available in each school and college dean’s office, or online for printing here. On Main Campus, they are available in the Student Center, room 304; and at the Ambler Campus, Tyler Campus and Health Sciences Center they are available in the Student Activities offices.
Applications, accompanied by two recommendations, are due to the academic deans’ offices by Tuesday, Feb. 20.
Students nominated by their deans will be required to audition before the Student Award Selection Committee on March 12, 1–3 p.m., in the Dean of Students Conference Room. Three finalists will be chosen for recommendation to the Academic Affairs Committee of the University Board of Trustees, which selects the speaker.
Commencement will be held at the Liacouras Center on May 17, 2007.
Criteria for undergraduate commencement speaker
1. Minimum GPA of 3.00.
2. Leadership role in or personal accomplishment of constructive social and/or educational impact within or without the university community. Minimum two-year involvement in university or community activity.
3. Excellent verbal skills.
4. Two recommendations are required. The recommendations may come from a professor, student leader, dean, employer or community service representative. The recommendations must reflect your strongest qualities. Faculty members who are not comfortable writing a support letter should decline to do so.
5. Students must represent the Conwell Tradition (a broad interpretation of the phrase is left open to the student).
6. The student must be a graduating senior.
7. The length of the remarks should not exceed five minutes, and the speech should pertain to remarks that will be made at graduation.
8. The student must dress professionally.
For more information, call 215-204-7188.