Building a legal system
Law School receives $5 million
endowment for China program.


Hooah!
Army ROTC wins event
at Ranger Challenge.

Ready to tip off
Sunday Madness marks start of basketball season.
www.temple.edu
November 4, 2004
Vol. 35, No. 11
Announcements
Temple University and the Brotherhood of University Employees have agreed on a four-year contract.  
The membership of BUE, Local 612 of SEIU, AFL-CIO, ratified the agreement on Nov. 6.
The BUE bargaining unit represents approximately 260 housekeepers, grounds workers, drivers, AV operators, mail carriers and storeroom clerks.
[more]   

Temple University Adverse Events Tracking System Mandatory Training and Authorization Registration
  Additional training sessions have been scheduled to allow all Principal Investigators and their designated reporters (Study Coordinators) to gain access to the system. [more

NewsBriefs  

  Flu vaccine update
 
  
Temple University Hospital has been notified that this year’s shortage of influenza vaccine will limit its supply.   

  Deadline for submitting research proposals Dec. 6   
  
Proposals submitted to this round will be reviewed in early January and funded in early February.

  LGBT studies minor introduced
The College of Liberal Arts has introduced a new minor in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender studies.

  Participants needed for psychology study
Participants are needed for a paid study in the psychology department that examines factors that may be related to future success in college and work. [more]  

  
     
 


 
James E. Beasley, 1926–2004

Temple loses friend, benefactor
   
    James E. Beasley, one of Temple’s most distinguished and generous alumni, died Sept. 18 at age 78.
    Beasley graduated from Temple in 1953 and from Temple Law School in 1956. He gained fame as a trial lawyer, focusing on cases involving medical malpractice, aviation, products liability, defamation and personal injury.
    In 1999, Beasley gave an endowment to Temple Law School that was, and still is, the largest ever given to the University. The school was renamed in his honor that year.
    “We were lucky to have him around for as long as we did and to have received so much support and generosity from him,” former President Peter J. Liacouras said.
[
more]

headline photo
James E. Beasley was an avid aviator, owning and operating several fighter planes, including this World War II-era P-51D Mustang “Bald Eagle.”
 

New police captains lead charge for safety, service
    Just call them “Captain.” In a significant staff reorganization, the Department of Campus Safety Services has promoted five veteran police supervisors to the newly established rank of captain. [more]


Spotlight | Trustee Edward Kassab
    When World War II ended, Kassab became the typical Temple student of his time, a person from a middle-class background who took buses and the subway to campus, attended classes, and then went home or to work. He graduated in 1949 with a degree in marketing. [more]

Around Temple
High-schoolers visit Podiatry School ... Plans for Alter Hall announced ... A cool thank-you ... Fox School gives leadership awards ... Temple hosts pharmacy society meeting ... Army ROTC wins Ranger Challenge event ... Ellen Forman dance exhibit opens [more]

   

Latin American program teaches with total immersion [more]

Women now stong force at Dental School [more]

Fox EMBA program ranked in U.S. top 20 [more]

Law School receives additional $5M endowment for China program [more]

HRMatters
In Memoriam
In The News

Awards & Achievements
Research Notes

Bits&PCs

This Week in Temple History
November 6, 1980

    The Temple Times reported that in emphasizing the continuing growth of the Ambler Campus, former President Marvin Wachman announced plans for the construction of a new multipurpose building on the campus. Groundbreaking for the facility was scheduled for Dec. 8, with completion of the 15,000-square-foot building expected in January 1982.
    The two-story structure would bear the name Dixon Hall, in honor of F. Eugene Dixon, former chairman of the Board of Trustees. Some of its features were to include faculty offices, an 80-seat classroom with visual aid facilities and two drafting rooms to be used by engineering technology, horticulture, landscape design and art students.