SUMMER PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
General Summer Program Eligibility
Application Procedures and Deadline
Online Application Browser Requirements
Questions about the Application Process
GENERAL SUMMER PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
For all summer programs, to be eligible, applicants must:
- possess a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale from all colleges/universities attended.
- be enrolled as a full-time matriculated student at the time of application as well as during the spring semester prior to studying abroad.
- be in good academic and disciplinary standing; students on academic or disciplinary probation or warning are ineligible to participate. Students who have been found responsible for a code of conduct violation on more than one occasion will be subject to additional review and may not be eligible to participate.
- intend a full-time program of study while abroad and be applying credits earned toward a degree.
- meet any additional, program-specific eligibility requirements, if applicable; please see individual program descriptions for more details.
Students will be selected mainly on the basis of their intellectual purpose and emotional maturity. Successful candidates are notified within two weeks of receiving a completed application.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE
Before Beginning an Application
Please review all program-specific information, including eligibility, before beginning an application. All applicants are advised to discuss their plans to study abroad with their academic advisor. Non-Temple students should confirm study abroad procedures with their home institution before beginning an application.
- Online Application
Navigate to the specific program’s web page, and click on the "Apply Now" link found on the right side of the page to begin your application. Temple students may log in using their Temple Accessnet username and password. All other students will be prompted to create an account. Once you receive your login and password information via e-mail, you may return to the login page to access your application and complete the required materials. See the browser requirements below if you are having trouble entering the application. Please note that at various points in the application process, notifications regarding your application will be sent to you via e-mail.
- Paper Application
As an alternative to the online appilcation, students may apply with a paper application. The paper application, along with further application instructions, may be downloaded from the right side of this web page, or the specific web page of the program to which you are applying. Students who apply with a paper application will submit all supporting application materials in hard copy to Education Abroad and will only be asked to login to an online account once accepted to the program.
Please note that the following submissions will be required.
Submissions for All Applicants:
- One academic recommendation. This must be from a faculty member who has recently taught you in class. Students applying online will request recommendations online, and the recommender will be notified via e-mail. The recommender will have the option of submitting your recommendation online or on paper. Please be sure to talk to him/her prior to requesting the recommendation online. Students applying with a paper application will provide the recommender with a paper recommendation form to fill out (included with application packet). Note: Students applying to the Rome Graduate Seminar in Aesthetics and Cultural Studies are not required to submit an academic recommendation but are asked within the application to provide the names and contact information of two faculty members who can speak on behalf of their work.
Additional Submissions for Non-Temple Students:
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended to date. While we do accept summer program applications during the fall semester, acceptance to a program is provisional until grades from the fall semester are posted to the transcript and reviewed. Non-Temple students must submit an updated official transcript, with fall semester grades, to complete the review process.
- Home College/University Approval Form indicating you have received approval from your home institution to study abroad on the selected program. This form should be completed by the official responsible for approving study abroad participation. Please complete the form and ask the official to return it directly to Temple University Education Abroad.
- $50 non-refundable application fee. Students applying online will pay by electronic check or credit card within the online application system. Students applying with a paper application must submit a check made payable to "Temple University."
- Signature Verification Form which, once received and processed, enables students to submit electronic signatures within Education Abroad's online system.
Some programs have additional application requirements. Please refer to the eligibility information within the program description for any program-specific requirements.
Certain programs require that candidates be interviewed; telephone or virtual interviews are conducted for those who cannot be interviewed personally.
For online applicants: Detailed information about the submissions mentioned above will appear on your Program Home Page within the online application system. There are three types of submissions: material submissions (physical materials you will need to submit to Education Abroad), signature documents (documents that can be signed electronically and submitted online), and questionnaire forms (to be filled out electronically and submitted online).
For paper applicants: Instructions and application materials may be downloaded from the right side of this web page, or any of the summer program web pages.
For all applicants: All materials must be received by the deadline but may be submitted under separate cover. Applications are not reviewed until all supporting submissions have been received.
All material submissions should be sent directly to:
200 Tuttleman Learning Center
1809 N 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Students are encouraged to apply well in advance of the deadlines; with the exception of the Artena Excavation, completed applications are reviewed on a rolling-admissions basis.
The application cycle for summer programs opens by December 1 each year and closes on the application deadline, February 15. Note: Select program deadlines have been extended; please visit the program-specific web page or contact our office for any updates.
Completed applications, including all supporting submissions, must be received by the deadline. The online application closes at 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time on the deadline date. Students attempting to apply online outside of this cycle by clicking the "Apply Now" link will find that the online application is unavailable and that their request to begin an application cannot be processed. Students interested in applying after the deadline should contact Education Abroad.
Note that if the online portion of an application is not complete by the deadline, the applicant will be locked out and unable to make any changes. Students will only be allowed to continue or submit their applications after the deadline on a space-available basis. Students requesting to do this must contact Education Abroad and must be prepared to immediately submit the non-refundable $200 program deposit, which will be refunded only if the applicant is not accepted into the program.
Accessing Your Program Home Page within the Online Application
To access your account and check the status of your application:
1. Click on "Login" in the upper right hand corner of www.temple.edu/studyabroad.
3. Select the link for your program application.
Decision notification will be sent via e-mail to students within approximately two weeks of Education Abroad receiving your completed application and all supporting materials. Accepted students who have applied with a paper application will be asked to login to an online account at that time to proceed.
Confirm your participation. If you have been accepted and have decided to participate, you must submit a non-refundable deposit of $200 within two weeks of acceptance to confirm your participation in the program. This deposit is non-refundable and credited towards your fees. Students will pay this deposit by electronic check or credit card within the online system. Students who have decided to participate should also click the “Commit” button on their Program Home Page.
Complete the pre-departure procedures as outlined on your Program Home Page within the online system. Your Program Home Page will be updated periodically until departure. You will be notified of these updates via e-mail. Please read all information carefully and pay close attention to deadlines.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- Java Script must be enabled.
- Cookies must be enabled for your browser.
- Users of Microsoft Internet Explorer may see a prompt in secure areas of the site asking them to choose a certificate. To disable this prompt, please follow these steps:
1. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options.
2. In the Security section, click the Internet Zone icon, then click the
Custom Level button.
3. Under Miscellaneous, look for the setting "Don't prompt for client
certificate selection when no certificates or only one certificate exists"
and set to Enable.
4. Click OK, then OK again.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac is not supported.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS
If you have any questions or technical problems, please contact us at 215-204-0720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.