Temple Rome business class with professor

Financial Aid


Besides the many scholarships available for study abroad, you can typically use regular sources of financial aid, such as Pell grants and Perkins loans, to fund your program. The sections below outline the possibilities for using financial aid for study abroad.


Temple Students On Temple Programs

If you are studying on a Temple study abroad program, you may use Temple, federal and state financial aid: loans, grants, even outstanding achievement scholarships. Applying for and receiving financial aid for a Temple study abroad program abroad works almost the same as it would if you were studying at any of Temple’s campuses. One difference is that Education Abroad supplies budgets to Student Financial Services (SFS) for all study abroad programs, and if you are accepted into a Temple study abroad program, we always recommend that you take a copy of your acceptance letter to SFS. The staff at SFS can then re-evaluate your aid package based on the budget for the study abroad program you will be attending. Your aid package may be adjusted to reflect any possible increased cost difference.

You can also apply other financial assistance available through regular University channels to your study abroad program costs, such as Veterans' benefits and tuition remission.

        Semester/Academic Year Study Abroad

  • Make sure to complete your FAFSA early in the calendar year. If you are eligible, SFS will notify you of your financial aid package and post your aid to your account in the same way as if you were taking courses at any of Temple's campuses.
  • A limited number of work-study positions are available at Temple University Rome.

        Summer Study Abroad

  • If you are interested in applying for summer financial aid, note that there is a separate summer financial aid application. Temple Student Financial Services typically posts the application to the Student Financial Services website by mid-March, with a due date in early April. Please check their website for exact dates and procedures. To discuss eligibility for summer aid, you should consult with Student Financial Services.


Temple Students on non-Temple Programs

Temple students studying on a non-Temple University study abroad program will still be able to use their federal and state aid, and in many cases, their Temple aid. Students must choose a non-Temple program that has been approved by Education Abroad, their major department(s), and their academic advising office. In addition, students must obtain from Temple Student Financial Services a consortium agreement in order to have their financial aid transferred to a study abroad program sponsored by another university. The consortium agreement must be forwarded to the non-Temple study abroad program for completion, and then must be forwarded to Temple Student Financial Services along with the student’s  completed "Approval to Study Abroad on a non-Temple Program" form.

Generally, Temple students attending a non-Temple program will not receive an increase in their aid package, even if the non-Temple program costs more than studying at Temple. However, it is very important for Temple students to discuss their financial aid package with Temple Student Financial Services. Also, even if a student’s aid package can not be increased, there are additional scholarships available specifically for studying abroad (see Scholarship link).

The Education Abroad library has a variety of resources available for students to research funding opportunities for study abroad. Among the books in the library are: Financial Aid for Research and Creative Activities Abroad; Financial Aid for Study and Training Abroad, and Financial Resources for International Study. All three of these volumes have information for funding at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels. There are also binders, arranged by country, of scholarship competitions and sources of financial assistance, and handouts outlining grants for Temple and non-Temple programs administered by Education Abroad.


Non-Temple Students on Temple Programs

Students from other institutions should consult with financial aid officers at their own institutions to find out which sources of aid are available to them and what the processes are for using aid to attend a Temple program. Federal awards and a number of state awards are generally transferable to Temple and other institutions.

In general, most institutions utilize a contractual agreement, usually called a consortium or consortial agreement, as a means to process a student’s aid when that student is attending another hosting institution, such as Temple. The agreement is usually forwarded to the hosting institution, completed by the host, then forwarded back to the student’s financial aid office. In some cases the aid is forwarded directly to Temple. In other cases the aid is forwarded to the student. Again, students must check with their home institution early on to make sure they understand what aid can be used and what the process is. If your institution uses consortial agreements, these agreements should be forwarded to Education Abroad for completion.

Students who intend to finance all or a portion of their overseas study through financial aid funds must follow procedures designed to ensure that required forms are completed prior to departure for their program. Students from other institutions attending a Temple study abroad program must document their awards by providing to Temple Education Abroad:

1. Photocopies of the official notification letter(s). Such letters should state the amount, source, and date of availability of the awards.

2. The name, title, address, and phone number of the person or persons responsible for the administration of each of the grants, loans, or scholarships submitted. Also included should be the name and address of the regular financial aid office at the student's home institution.