Innovate and Create LLC
A Living Learning Community for Innovators & Entrepreneurs
At their core, entrepreneurs are creative problem-solvers that are driven to identify and grab hold of opportunities. Anyone can be entrepreneurial — whether you want to start the next Facebook, take control of your work-life balance with a lifestyle business, have a positive impact on the world with a social venture, or drive change and innovation in an existing company. If you want to be more innovative and think you might like to invent a product or launch a company some day, this is the place for you.
“The Innovate & Create” Living Learning Community is Temple University’s first Entrepreneurial Lab – a place where students can feel free to share any kind of radical or crazy idea (and where you and your peers will collaborate to improve these ideas). The most successful new ventures are started by teams that combine people with different backgrounds (engineers, business people, scientists, artists, architects, etc…) and this is what this thematic LLC is all about. In this residential hall-based incubator you will meet some of the most innovative, entrepreneurial students from around Temple. Some of the most famous entrepreneurial stories started in dorms (e.g., Dell, Facebook, Wordpress, Google, Inogen, College Hunks Hauling Junk, etc…) and this success is partly a result of the collocation of the right individuals combined with appropriate amounts of freedom and a supportive atmosphere.
The Incubator is supported by the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Institute (IEI) (on Facebook) and the Entrepreneurial Student Association (ESA) (on Facebook). This LLC will give you the chance to meet and build life-long friendships with the most innovative, entrepreneurial students on campus.
- Open to all majors (the LLC is designed specifically to connect people from across campus)
- Participate in the for-credit ‘Innovate & Create’ Freshmen Seminar (Fall semester) that will teach you about entrepreneurship and innovation as well as provide a roadmap for entrepreneurship at Temple
- Actively participate in the Entrepreneurial Student Association (ESA)
- Attend at least five (5) Innovation & Entrepreneurship Institute (IEI) events throughout the year (e.g., Innovative Idea Competition, Be Your Own Boss Bowl, entrepreneurial fireside chats, MADV Angel Venture Forum, IEI workshops or toolboxes, etc… there are dozens of events to choose from).
LLC Activities & Events:
- Entrepreneurial Speaker Series: a series of successful alumni entrepreneurs will be scheduled to come and talk with the LLC about how they came up with their idea and how they launched their business. These are students just like you that came through temple just a few years ago and are seeing their dreams become reality.
- Creativity & Innovation Workshops: in addition to entrepreneurial speakers we will work with the LLC and ESA to plan a series of hands-on workshops where students can learn various creativity and innovative techniques—ways to come up with ideas and ways to improve those ideas.
- Peer Mentorship: Seniors and Juniors that are part of the Entrepreneurial Student Association (ESA) offer one-on-one and group mentoring for LLC members. These experienced students are there to help LLC members navigate the ins and outs of university life while also explaining the entrepreneurial ecosystem of Temple University and Philadelphia.
- Entrepreneurial Internships: Each semester LLC members will be invited to an event where entrepreneurial students will describe their recent internship experiences—What would they do differently? What did they learn from the event? What should you look for in an internship? In addition, the IEI’s networks are made available to LLC members and we will help match qualified students to internship opportunities in high-growth, social, or lifestyle entrepreneurial businesses.
- The Sky’s the Limit: The IEI and ESA will work with LLC members to customize programs based on your interests—Want to work together to launch a company your freshman year? Want to plan trips to visit local entrepreneurial companies? Want to meet local celebrity entrepreneurs? Want to team up to submit to the BYOBB competition for a chance to win over $100k in prizes?
LLC students / members will learn…
- …that entrepreneurship (in various forms) is a viable career option for everyone
- …the importance of diverse perspectives on creativity and innovation
- …the importance of following your passion and having a positive social impact in all business endeavors
- …how to identify opportunities (including the impact of macro trends on the opportunity landscape)
- …to apply design thinking & creative problem solving techniques to attack real-world challenges
- …the various paths forward to commercialize an invention and/or launch a new venture (including the potential pitfalls along the way)
For more information, contact:
Robert McNamee, Academic Director IEI