Definition of Consent
- Consent is a voluntary, sober, enthusiastic, wanted, informed, mutual, honest, and verbal agreement.
- Consent is an active agreement; Consent cannot be coerced.
- Consent is a process; it must be granted every step of the way.
- Consent is never implied and cannot be assumed, even in the context of a relationship. Just because you are in a relationship does not mean that you have permission to have sex with your partner.
- A person who is intoxicated cannot legally give consent. If you are too drunk to make decisions and communicate clearly with your partner, you are too drunk to consent.
- The absence of a "NO" is NOT a "YES"
- Both partners must be involved in the decision to have sex.