The HEART Peer Educator's job is challenging and rewarding. Peers’ responsibilities range from planning and conducting workshops/presentations in classrooms, fraternities /sororities, and residence halls to the supportive and behind-the-scenes "detail" work that makes programming successful.
Peers work under the supervision of the Program Director and Coordinators of the Wellness Resource Center. Opportunities will be given to develop written and oral communication skills thru projects such as creating educational materials, displays, interactive games and special events.
Peer Educator Duties and Responsibilities
- Enroll in or audit PH2304 during your first semester as a student Peer Educator
- Available for mandatory weekly meetings, Wednesdays 3:30-4:30
- Recruit other peer educators
- Assist in developing programs and workshops
- Participate and promote special programs and tabling opportunities
- Assist in creating educational materials and displays
- Become a Certified Peer Educator (CPE) through BACCHUS GAMMA
- Ability to work with others – a team player
- Responsible and reliable
- Good communication skills, including a willingness to speak in front of an audience
- Strong time management skills
- Flexible and adaptable personality
- Good role model. (Doesn’t mean being perfect—nobody is!)
- Strongly interested in health promotion and disease prevention
- GPA of 2.5 or above
Steps to Take to Become a Peer Educator:
- Fill out this application and submit it at our office.
- A Wellness Resource Center staff member will contact you to come in for a short interview.
- You will enroll in the next available class offering of PH 2304.