Skip Navigation

Skip to main content

Text Resize:

A department within Student Affairs

General FAQs

Campus and Residence Life Accessibility

Are Temple campuses wheelchair accessible?

In general, most buildings and facilities at all Temple campuses are wheelchair accessible. Maps indicate accessible entrances in situations where some entrances are stepped.

Upper floors of all campus buildings are accessible by elevators. Some elevators on Main Campus require a key for use. The keys are available for loan from DRS. Keys may be required for elevators in Biology Life Sciences Building and Pearson/ McGonigle Halls.


Where can I find information on accessible off campus housing?

Housing and Urban Development Authority, supported by the City of Philadelphia, maintains a listing of accessible units available to qualified applicants. Since there is a waiting list for wheelchair accessible housing, interested people should plan early to reserve appropriate space.

The Temple University Office of Housing and Residential Life also has an extensive database of off campus housing for students.


Does DRS offer personal care attendants?

No, the university does not offer personal attendant services. Students are encouraged to locate appropriate personal service providers independently. For classroom and general campus assistance, several students with a disability have found it beneficial to recruit and hire other students. For more involved personal care needs, students usually make arrangements through agencies or private contacts. Students are responsible for managing their attendant's schedule and adhering to the university's visitation and guest policies. Scheduling admittance to the halls for 24-hour attendants can be coordinated through the University Housing and Residential Life and DRS. Information on agency referrals is available through Liberty Resources, Philadelphiaís Center for Independent Living.


I am a student with a disability living in a Temple residence. What are the emergency evacuation procedures that I should follow?

Resident students with a disability should discuss specific needs and emergency plans with their Resident Director (RD) and Resident Assistants (RA) at the beginning of the semester.


Confidential Records

How long is my information kept on file at DRS?

Files are maintained for six years beyond a studentís last registration with DRS, after which they are destroyed.


How do I know that my records will be kept private at DRS?

Documentation is maintained in a secure file at DRS. Documentation is not shared with others, although if requested, general information about the studentís accommodations may be discussed on a need-to-know basis with faculty or administrative professionals. DRS staff is committed to maintaining utmost discretion in matters involving students' disabilities and related matters. Pertinent information related to records may be shared with university personnel only when deemed necessary and appropriate to facilitate the studentís access to programs and services. Requests to share information with persons acting in roles external to the university will be considered only with prior written approval by the student.


Classroom and Testing Accommodations

How do I let my professors know that I need accommodations in the classroom?

The best way to communicate your need for classroom accommodations is to meet privately with each of your professors and give them each a copy of your accommodation letter. You can send your accommodation letters to your instructors using MyDRS. Watch the Access TU videos to see examples of students and professors having typical discussions about accommodations.


What if Iím having difficulties obtaining my accommodations from my professor?

In the rare instance that a professor may not understand your accommodation, students and faculty are urged to discuss questions with the DRS Coordinator.


What information do I need to provide to receive a text in alternative format?

To receive a text in alternative format, you must give DRS the course name and instructor's name along with the book title, author, ISBN, edition, printing date and publisher. Requests should be made at least four to six weeks prior to the start of the semester.


When are testing services available at DRS?

DRS testing services are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM. Any testing accommodations that need to be made outside of office hours should be arranged with faculty.


What if I need to take a standardized test through DRS?

DRS staff will prepare required certifications for standardized examinations, such as GRE, LSAT, MCAT and GMAT, if disability-related adjustments are required. Students should refer to individual examination administration web sites for details on specific forms that are required. Verification of the disability and a history of using approved accommodations are needed for most certifications.


What can I do if I am hospitalized in the middle of the semester?

Students with documented medical conditions that occur in the middle of the semester are eligible to apply for a medical withdrawal without academic penalty.


Student Rights and Responsibilities

What rights do I have as a student with a disability?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 protect students with a disability from discrimination. Students have the right to expect that disability-related information will be treated confidentially, and on a need-to-know basis. They should expect to be treated in a respectful and fair manner in interactions with other members of the university community. Students should expect appropriate accommodations in a timely manner, if requests are made in advance. Students have the right to appeal decisions regarding accommodations and auxiliary aids, if they believe the services are not appropriate.


As a student with a disability, what are my responsibilities to ensure that my rights are upheld?

Students are responsible to provide DRS with appropriate documentation of disability in a timely manner. They must inform their instructors of the need for accommodations and offer an accommodation letter to support the request. Students are responsible for following procedures established by faculty and DRS to obtain the appropriate accommodations. Students are expected to comply with the university Code of Conduct.