How to Register
Temple has multiple ways to communicate critical information: TU Siren, TU Alerts and TU Advisories. Each method is designed for a specific need. Take a moment right now and become TU Ready. Registering your cell phone number and other information is the first step in receiving critical information in the event of an emergency. Instructions on how to register are detailed below for students and employees.
1. Log into TUportal.
2. Click Self-Service Banner on the left hand side under TU Applications.
3. Click Personal Information.
4. Select Addresses and Phones in the menu.
5. Review the information listed in the Phone Numbers section.
Make sure you have an entry for Mobile–Personal because TU Alert notifications will automatically be sent to that number. To change the number, click the pencil icon to display the edit window. To add a Mobile–Personal phone number, click the telephone icon.
Employees may list both a personal and/or work cell phone number to receive text messages of TU Alert notifications. Personal is listed under the permanent address. Work is listed under your Temple Directory address. To verify your number(s) or list a new one:
- Log onto TUportal
- Click Self Service Banner on the left hand side under TU Applications
- Click Personal Information
- Select “Update Addresses and Phones” in the Personal Information Channel.
- Verify there is a Permanent Address type (PR) or add one if there is not by using the form at the bottom of the page
- Under Permanent click the “Current” link.
- There will be 3 options for phone numbers. Verify you wish to receive TU Alert notifications on the number listed as “Cell – Personal” Phone Type
- Repeat the process (starting at step 5) for the “Temple Directory” address. Verify you wish to receive TU Alert notifications on the number listed as “mobile” Phone Type--or add a new number if you wish.
The TU Alert notification system is designed to deliver critical information to our students, faculty and staff in an expedited manner. While we understand a parent's concern, our priority is getting information to the immediate Temple community. Adding parents to our system (that currently delivers messages to over 51,000 recipients) would delay this process.
However, when an emergency event requires ongoing communication over an extended period of time, information may be updated on the university home page and available on the university hotline (215.204.1975) following a TU Alert or activation of the TU Siren. In addition, the university often uses social media to inform our extended community. Look for Temple University on Twitter.