Temple University is a comprehensive public research university with an extensive international presence. With more than 39,000 students from 50 states and 125 nations, it is the 28th largest university in America and the 4th largest provider of professional education in the nation. The university is composed of 17 schools and colleges (including 5 professional schools) and has a 16 to 1 student-faculty ratio.
Founded in 1884 by Dr. Russell Conwell as an informal adult-education outgrowth of his Baptist Temple ministry, Temple College was chartered in 1888, and incorporated as Temple University in 1907. In 1965, Temple became a member of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education. Today, Temple University is thriving as a national center of excellence in teaching, research, the arts and community service.
Temple offers 320 academic degree programs, including 2 associate's, 134 bachelor's, 121 master's, 56 doctoral, and 7 first-professional (in dentistry, law, medicine, pharmacy and podiatric medicine) degree programs at its 9 campuses in Pennsylvania (Main, Center City, Podiatric Medicine, Health Sciences, Ambler, Ft. Washington, Harrisburg) Tokyo, and Rome.
A respected leader in international education, Temple has been engaged in teaching and research around the world for decades. Temple's many programs and partnerships include:
- Temple's Japan campus, founded in 1982, offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees to 3,300 learners
- Temple Rome, founded in 1966, is a premier study abroad campus educating over 600 students each year
- Prestigious study abroad programs in London, Beijing, Brazil, Senegal, India and many other locations
- A pioneering law-degree program in cooperation with Tsinghua University in Beijing educates Chinese judges, government officials and lawyers
- Eighteen-hundred international students and visiting scholars from 127 countries
- Education partnerships with more than 80 institutions around the world
- Internationally ranked MBA degree program in Japan, India, France and the U.S.
- Nationally recognized Center for International Business Education and Research