- What is the purpose of the program?
- Who will it serve?
- What will the duration be? Semester? Academic year?
- How is the proposed program part of the school/department’s strategic thinking?
- Is the need immediate or long-range?
- Has the need been carefully researched?
- Is there sufficient departmental support, including support by the department chair and school dean?
- Is there enough student and faculty interest to sustain the program?
- What are the advantages of offering a program at this particular site?
- What are the disadvantages?
- Is the prospective partner, if there is one, a peer institution recognized by the appropriate authority in the host country?
- Is the partner accustomed to producing grade reports/transcripts in a timely fashion?
- What is the language of instruction?
- If the language of instruction is not English, what arrangements can be made to provide an academically sound program in English? What provisions will be made outside the classroom?
- If one of the goals of the program is language acquisition, what arrangements can be made to provide an academically sound program in the host-country language?
- Is this program intended for undergraduate or graduate students?
- What courses will be offered?
- Are courses existing courses or new courses that will need to go through the approval process?
- Who will teach the courses?
- How will faculty be identified?
- What provision is there for cultural immersion?
- What resources are available on site to provide support and services for American students?
- What provision is there for pre-departure, country-specific orientation?
- What plans are there for on-site orientation following arrival?
- Are adequate and affordable housing arrangements available?
- What are the health and safety risks?
- Will students need to take special health precautions?
- Are there political or ethnic conflicts that present special safety concerns?
- Have English speaking doctors, dentists and mental health professionals available if needed?
- Have extracurricular experiences been designed to help students observe and understand the political, economic, cultural and social institutions of the host country?
- What administrative infrastructure is needed on site?
- What are Temple’s responsibilities?
- Who will provide administrative, academic and student oversight on site?
Program Evaluation and Assessment
- How will the program be evaluated to ensure that its goals are met?
- How frequently will evaluations be conducted and by whom?
- What quality assurance procedures will be followed?
Concerns for Exchanges
- Is there sufficient administrative support within your department/school to administer the exchange?
- Who within your school will administer the exchange?
- Has the curriculum at the host institution been approved by Temple faculty?
- Does the curriculum offer enough courses that can be counted as Temple equivalencies?
- What is the language of instruction at the host institution?
- If the language at the host university is not English, will there be enough Temple students with sufficient language proficiency to participate in the exchange?
- In what format will the host institution provide grades?
- Are there any special curricular requirements that would make it difficult for incoming exchange students to enroll in courses in your department?
- Does the academic calendar of the host university coincide with Temple’s and if not, will that cause difficulties?
- Is the prospective partner accustomed to receiving and providing support and services to American students?
- Does the partner have an international office to assist and orient international students?
- What housing is available?
- Will the host institution guarantee housing?
- Does the propped partner institution require that Temple guarantee housing for incoming exchange students?
- Will the host provide an on-site orientation for incoming students?
- What kind of support, such as pre-departure orientation and post-program evaluation, will your department be able to provide to outgoing exchange students?
- What kind of support will your department be able to provide to incoming exchange students?