The Intensive English Language Program offers courses in all proficiency levels from elementary to advanced. Classes are given in writing, reading, speaking, listening and all classes include instruction in pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar. Students also choose an elective class and a cultural education class based on the student's needs and learning styles. These small classes are offered throughout the year so students can make progress on a continual basis.
Admission to the IELP is available to students who have completed high school studies.
New students will be tested in all the skill areas and placed in the appropriate level at the beginning of the program. During the term students will be evaluated through activities, examinations and homework, and they will receive a final grade at the end. If the student has done well, then he/she will be moved to the next level. A student’s progress depends entirely upon participation in class, good study habits and hard work.
The Intensive English Language Program offers the following classes:
- The reading class is designed to help the student improve reading speed and comprehension and it helps prepare students for the amount of reading they will be expected to do at a university.
- The writing class helps students become familiar with and gain practice in academic writing.
- The listening/speaking class focuses on fluency, pronunciation and vocabulary development.
- Elective classes allow students to learn English in a class of their choice. A few examples of elective classes include Current Events, Drama, TOEFL, the Movies of Steven Spielberg, English through Art, and Presentation Skills. View a list of current elective classes.
- Cultural Education Program classes are an opportunity to use the English language in an informal setting: website design, sports, music, student newspaper, photography. View a list of current cultural education classes.