Applying to the Intensive English Language Program
The Intensive English Language Program at Temple University accepts applications continuously throughout the year for the Fall, Spring, and Summer sessions. Our traditional IELP classes are great for students who want to improve their basic language skills.
How to Apply
There are three ways to apply:
- You can complete an online application, and pay the $100 application fee online when you submit your online application.
- You can complete a PDF form and mail it along with the nonrefundable $100 application fee and your accompanying documents to:
INTENSIVE ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAM
1700 N. Broad Street.
Philadelphia, PA 19121 USA
Step 1: Fill out your application and pay your nonrefundable application fee
Step 2: Send your documents:
- A copy of the Biographical Page of your Passport
- Send a current, ORIGINAL bank statement showing a minimum of U.S. $21,000.00 on bank letterhead, in your name, signed by a bank official. This must be in English and it must show all amounts in United States dollars (Please visit an online currency converter if you have difficulty changing the amount into United States dollars)
*See below if you are using another option.
Step 3 (for transfer students): Arrange to have your SEVIS record transferred to Temple's IELP.
You must have a high-school diploma or be at least 18 years old to enroll.
Here are some important points to remember:
- Type your full name EXACTLY as it appears on your passport.
- Be sure to check off the program and INDICATE THE SESSION.
- Tell us if you will be applying for an F-1 student visa.
- If you are transferring from another school or institution, please note you must transfer your Sevis Record.
- *If you will be applying for an F-1 visa, you will need to send us a financial statement in U.S. dollars from your bank or a letter from your sponsor or parent(s) indicating you have the funds to support yourself while in the United States.
If this financial statement is from a third party (e.g., a relative or employer), you must also provide a letter from the statement holder, stating he/she is willing to cover your tuition and living expenses while you take part in our program. If your sponsor is a United States permanent resident or citizen, s/he must fill out a government document entitled I-134. This document may be obtained from International Student and Scholar Services, or from another university or establishment that carries government documents.
If you are receiving a scholarship, send a scholarship award letter, on the organization's letterhead, in English, indicating your name and stating the specific expenses that the organization will cover.
- Please also submit a copy of your passport photo identity page.
- If you are a transfer student, you must submit a transfer recommendation letter. You must be in good standing concerning behavior and attendance.
Once you have submitted your application, the Intensive English Language Program will send your admissions decision to you by e-mail.
Once you have submitted all required documents, we will create your I-20, which is the certificate of eligibility you need to apply for your F-1 student visa. We will then send the I-20 to you by express mail, along with an acceptance letter and some information to help you plan for your stay at Temple University.
- Completed Application
- Application Fee
- Must be in the form of a credit card or money order
- Make money orders payable to Temple University
- All payment methods must be in US dollars
- Completed transfer form (for transfer students only)
If you are unable to attend the session that you have applied to for any, please complete the deferral request form.