Your Action Plan
5 Tips for Professional Development over Winter Break
Winter break is an ideal time for you to focus on your professional development. Before classes begin again, the Career Center recommends that you:
- Reflect on the fall semester and update your resume with recent academic projects, jobs and internships, and student organization involvement.
- Conduct an informational interview with someone in a field of your interest to learn about a particular career path and gain advice from a professional.
- Update your LinkedIn account, ask for recommendations and build your network.
- Start the internship or job search by exploring opportunities on the Owl Network, the Career Center's online job and internship database.
- Return to campus in the spring semester with business professional attire, appropriate for attending career fairs, networking events, the Mock Interview Program and other interview opportunities.
The Career Center provides a full range of services to optimize internship and employment opportunities and enhance lifelong career success. Get the most out of the Career Center by downloading our 2014-2015 Career Guide.
Believe it or not, graduation can sneak up on you much more quickly than you think. Before you know it, you'll be a graduating senior and then...what exactly? Here in the Career Center we work with Temple students to help them plan and prepare so that when their time as a Temple student comes to an end, they are ready to turn "what exactly" into "what they want"!
Below are just some of the steps you should take during your time here at Temple to help prepare you for life after graduation, whether it be life as a professional, or as a graduate student. Many of these involve working directly with the Career Center and our Career Coaches. However, you will find that many also require that you do a bit of exploring on your own. We're there with you, though - every step of the way!
- Identify your interests, skills and values
- Talk with a Career Coach about career options for your major
- Find out about part-time jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, and on-campus opportunities which might help you explore potential careers and gain experience
- Attend the Career Center's Part-Time Job Fair, held in the Fall and Spring semesters
- Obtain information and research occupations that interest you
- Begin to narrow down career choices
- Start thinking about Internships
- Start preparing your resume and have it critiqued by a Career Coach
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in your field - meet with a Career Coach to learn how the Temple Alumni Online Community can help you with this!
- Attend Career Center Professional Development workshops and employer information sessions
- Post your resume and search jobs on the OwlNetwork
- Practice and refine your interviewing skills; take part in the Career Center's Mock Interview Program
- Begin developing job search strategies and work with a Career Coach to develop a job search plan
- Participate in the On Campus Recruiting Program
- Attend Career Fairs - the Career Center's campus-wide Career Expo's, department/college specific events and off-campus recruitment events
Stop by during our drop-in hours M - F 11am - 2pm, visit us during virtual hours M - F 2pm - 3pm at temple.edu/careercenter, or make an appointment to meet with a Career Coach.