DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICIAN/FACULTY RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION
Temple University School of Medicine, 1937
|The story of Temple University School of Medicine from its founding reflects the ebb and flow of urban America in the Industrial States which saw prosperity fade and neighborhoods decline after WWII. As community resources dwindled, the School remained steadfast in its commitment to its original mission of providing access to opportunity for persons of diverse backgrounds, for students and faculty as well as the surrounding communities that rely on Temple for their health care.
That legacy persists and enhances the School to this very day with a palpable sense of mission to improve the human condition by educating superior physicians, advancing knowledge through research, and providing health care to the impoverished.
Rev. Conwell founded Good Samaritan Hospital (now Temple University Hospital) in 1892 to provide healthcare for the melting pot neighborhoods encircling his Baptist Temple. In 1901, he opened the doors of Temple University School of Medicine (TUSM) to working-class citizens who sought to improve their lives—and the lives of others—through medical education.
Today, Temple University Hospital is a 746-bed teaching hospital located on Temple University's Health Sciences Center campus at Broad and Ontario Streets in Philadelphia. The hospital provides patients with ready access to an exceptional group of physicians in every specialty and primary care field. These doctors include the nationally recognized faculty of Temple University School of Medicine, who are supported by the advanced resources of its major teaching hospital.
- Typical patient unit: 34 beds
- Operating rooms: 17
- Cardiac catheterization labs: 4
- Critical care unit beds: 173
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Outpatient visits from 7/1/06 to 6/30/07: 104,958
- Emergency Department visits from 7/1/06 to 6/30/07: 64,481
- Births from 7/1/06 to 7/30/07: 2,872
- 20 residency programs
New Medical School, opened in 2009
|The 2009 opening of the new medical education and research building is the first step for Temple University School of Medicine in realizing a bold new vision. While bricks and mortar do not define institutional character and quality, they are essential to an institution’s vitality. The new facility symbolizes Temple’s determination to be a leader in medical education and healthcare. This is the largest building project in the university’s history, and it quite visibly demonstrates our continuing steadfast commitment to our original mission.