department of medicine
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Temple University Hospital has been a fixture in its North Philadelphia neighborhood for over 100 years. Originally named Samaritan Hospital, it was founded by Reverend Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University, in 1892 as a place to provide care to the inhabitants of the area. The School of Medicine was founded in 1901 as a night school to permit people who wished to study medicine but needed to maintain full-time employment to get a medical degree.
Rotations at Fox Chase Cancer Center provides residents with the opportunity to practice in a 100-bed specialty hospital for the care of patients with neoplastic disease. Fox Chase Cancer Center has the country's first charter as a cancer hospital and is located on a verdant campus in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia, which borders Montgomery County. It is one of 20 comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute. In 2012, Fox Chase Cancer Center was officially incorporated into the Temple University Health System. It is staffed by academic physicians with full Temple University faculty appointments.
The Temple University Health System also includes Jeanes Hospital and TUH Episcopal Campus (the clinical campus for the Department of Psychiatry). Formal rotations are not required at these hospitals but residents have opportunities to rotate with physicians at these sites if they desire.
Temple has recently built new facilities to support its mission. In November 2005, Temple opened an Ambulatory Care Center (shown above) on the northeast corner of the main hospital facility. This center contains expanded space for the emergency room and space for the Temple Oncology Center, GI procedure facilities, surgery clinics, etc.
Click to view the PULSE Newsletter archives: