department of medicine - Section of cardiology
The training program in Cardiovascular Diseases provides in-depth training and experience in this subspecialty to the post-graduate internist. The program is structured so as to provide a comprehensive educational experience, which stresses:
- Normal basic cardiovascular physiology and the pathophysiology observed in differing cardiovascular disease states.
- Evaluation and management of patients with a wide spectrum of cardiovascular diseases.
- Participation in meaningful investigations in clinical or basic cardiovascular research.
- Acquisition of clinical skills in electrocardiograph interpretation and an understanding of the electrophysiology and treatment of arrhythmias.
- Performance and interpretation of various invasive and non-invasive procedures used in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. These include:
- Doppler studies
- Stress testing
- Nuclear cardiology
- Cardiac diagnostic catheterization
- Angioplasty procedures
- Balloon valvuloplasty
- Electrophysiologic testing
- Cardiac MR and CT
- Learning a combined medical-surgical team approach to the diagnosis and therapy of surgically treatable cardiovascular diseases.
- Evaluation and management of patients with severe end-stage congestive failure to include:
- Inotropic support
- Ventricular assist devices
- Cardiac transplantation in a well established Cardiac Transplant Center
- Management of post-operative open heart surgery cases. This includes patients having undergone coronary artery bypass surgery, valvular heart surgery and cardiac transplantation.
- Cardiovascular care in a managed care environment.
- Caring and efficient outpatient cardiac clinic experience with emphasis on the physician-patient relationship.
- Participation in a rigorous daily didactic lecture schedule.
- Development of a professional attitude toward patients, peers and other health care professionals.
- Develop the skills necessary to become a “life-long” learner.
Department of Medicine
Section of Cardiology, General Appointments
3401 North Broad Street
Suite 945, Zone C
Philadelphia, PA 19140