""

about | Maps & Directions | contact | admissions | faculty | alumni & development | library | Tech Support Center | dean's office | Policies & Procedures

The School and its Heritage

Temple University School of Medicine Timeline


1892
-
The 20-bed Samaritan Hospital is dedicated by the Rev. Russell H. Conwell.
1901
-
Dr. Conwell founds Temple University School of Medicine.
1903
-
Dean Newton Snively is the first physician in Philadelphia to administer diphtheria antitoxin.
1906
-
Temple Medical College is the first co-educational medical college in Pennsylvania to award the MD degree to women.
1907
-
Dr. Wayne Babcock introduces the use of spinal anesthesia in the U.S.
1912
-
Agnes Berry Montier is the first African American woman to earn the MD degree from Temple.  She practiced general medicine in Philadelphia until her death in 1961.
1918
-
W. Edward Chamberlain, MD designs the first image amplifier used in fluoroscopy.
1928
-
The nation's first rehabilitation department opens at Temple under Frank Krusen, MD.
1929
-
Samaritan Hospital undergoes name change to Temple University Hospital.
1930
-
Chevalier Jackson, MD, developer of the bronchoscope, opens the Jackson Clinic for the treatment of diseases of the airway and food passages.
1932
-
Walter I. Lillie, MD, Chairperson of Ophthalmology, introduces the concept of residencies to Temple.
1938
-
W. Emory Burnett, MD, Professor of Surgery, performs Philadelphia's first pneumonectomy.
1939
-
O. Spurgeon English, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, and Edward Weiss, MD open the first clinic for psychosomatic medicine.
1947
-
Ernest Spiegel, MD and Henry Wycis, MD perform the first surgical stereoencephalotomy with a device of their own invention.  Fels Institute is founded by Harry Shay.
1949
-
W. Edward Chamberlain, MD designs the first biplane stereoscopic X-ray machine.
1966
-
Herbert Stauffer, MD designs the first television stereoscopic fluroscope.
1971
-
The Sol Sherry Thrombosis Research Center, the largest of its kind in the world, is founded.
1974
-
The world's first university-based sports medicine center opens at Temple.
1976
-
180 is now the average class size; more than 7,000 living alumni are practicing in nearly every state and various parts of the world; 22% of all practicing physicians in the Philadelphia area are Temple grads.  David Hartman, the first blind medical student in the U.S. in 100 years, graduates.
1984
-
Philadelphia area's first heart transplant is performed at Temple.  Sol Sherry, MD is first to use streptokinase as a therapy for acute myocardial infarction.
1989
-
The first combined heart and kidney transplant in the region is performed at Temple.
1998
-
Temple University Children's Medical Center and Shriners Hospital open.
1999
-
Temple and Fox Chase Cancer Center join to enhance academic and clinical programs.  TUHS opens Burn Center.  TUSM establishes Center for Substance Abuse Research.
2000
-
TUSM's Department of Surgery initiates gene therapy trials in patients with vascular disease.
2001
-
TUSM Medical Alumni Board and The Arnold P. Gold Foundation co-sponsor the first White Coat Ceremony, reinforcing our emphasis on humanism in medicine.
2006
-
Ground is broken and construction begins on the new Temple University School of Medicine scheduled to open in 2009.
2009   On October 29-31, 2009, the new Medical Education and Research Building is dedicated with a 3-day opening celebration and ribbon-cutting ceremony.