Sample Employment Letter For Travel Outside the US
Since 9/11/01, U.S. Embassies and Consulates are asking more frequently for visa applicants to provide letters from their U.S. employers, certifying the applicants' employment status in the United States. In addition, such letters assist the Consular officers in determining whether or not a security clearance should be conducted before the visa is issued.
Specific, standardized guidelines on the exact information that should be included in the letters have not been provided. However, below please find a suggested format and guidance for content if you are asked to write a letter in support of a visa application by your foreign postdoctoral associates, fellows and/or other international visitors.
[On department, lab, or center letterhead:]
To Whom It May Concern:
- Scholar's name and job title, the work that the scholar is doing at Temple University
- Appointment dates
- Amount of Temple University salary per annum and/or amount and source of any non-Temple University funding
- In layman's terms, a detailed and non-technical description of the research to be conducted by the scholar, whether it is basic research or applied research. If the research has no military or defense-related purposes, say so.
- A detailed description of how the scholar's qualifications match the requirements of the position
- The scholar is expected to return to Temple University to continue his/her research. A timely return to campus is important to the research group. Please feel free to contact me (the faculty who writes the letter) for further assistance if needed.
Signature of inviting faculty member or principal investigator