If you would like an immigration advisor in our office to assist you with this application, you can make an appointment to see Sharon Loughran by calling 215-204-7708. Make sure you have all materials listed below.
Conditions For Employment
- The primary visa holder must have valid E-3 status, and you must hold valid E-3 spouse status, as shown on your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record card
- If permission for employment is granted, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued and is valid for any kind of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time stated on the EAD. There is no legal limit to the amount of money that you may earn.
- You may start working when you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) but not before the date listed on the EAD card.
- E-3 spouse employment may be authorized for the duration of the E-3 principal alien’s authorized stay as indicated on Form I-94. The employment authorization is valid only if the primary E-3 is maintaining status.” DO NOT WORK PAST THE EXPIRATION DATE ON YOUR EAD CARD.
Completing the Application
- Download Form I-765
- You should completely fill in all of the required fields
- Please check your information carefully; use your full legal name, as it appears on your immigration documents, when completing your application.
- You must sign the Form I-765 in BLUE INK
- In Section 16, write in the parenthesis (a) (17) ( ) to indicate that you are applying for work permission based on your E-3 status
- Skip # 17 as this does not apply to you
Send the following items to USCIS:
- Copy of your passport, I-94 card and E-3 visa stamp
- Copy of your spouse’s passport, I-94 card and E-3 visa stamp
- Copy of certified LCA issued to primary E-3 visa holder
- Form I-765
- 2 EAD photos* with a white background taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to the USCIS.
- Personal check, certified bank check or money order for current fee, made payable to US Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $380.00 (Make sure that you write your check correctly)
- To confirm that your spouse is still in status you should include a letter from her employer (Human Resources if employed by Temple) and/or recent pay stubs.
Send the Complete Application To:
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266
For Express mail and courier deliveries (UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc):
2501 S. State Hwy, 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
Authorization To Work
You may not begin employment until you receive approval from USCIS. Your authorization to work is valid until the expiration date on the Employment Authorization Document. You may not work past this date. If your employment document expires before you have made arrangements to extend it, you must stop working until you receive approval from USCIS that your extension has been granted.
The earnings of E-3 spouses are subject to applicable federal, state and local taxes, and Social Security and employers are required by law to withhold those taxes from paychecks. By April 15, you must file an income tax return, form 1040 NR, with the Internal Revenue Services (IRS), covering the prior calendar year. The return determines whether you owe more taxes or have a refund coming. See IRS publication 519, "US Tax Guide for Aliens." Please contact your employer for further information.