TILES Meetings in 2011 - 2012
- October 9: Talk by Mitchell Nathan, University of Wisconsin on "Scaling Down Education Research on Mathematical Learning and Education". Co-sponsored by the Teaching and Learning Center and hosted by Julie Booth. Speech at 4:00 pm in the Hamilton Library, Weiss Hall. Refreshments served at 3:30 pm
- October 24: Julie Fiez, University of Pittsburgh, on Reading Faces: Using Artificial Orthographies to Study the Neural Basis of Reading". Co-sponsored by the neuro-science program. Speech from 2:30 to 4:30 pm in the Kiva Auditorium. Hosted by Jason Chein.
- Tuesday, March 20: Talk by Jim Stigler, UCLA. "Changing the Culture of Teaching: Perspectives on Mathematics Teaching and How to Improve It." Speech at 3:30 p.m. in Weiss Hall (Hamilton Library, 6th floor). Refreshments served at 3:00 pm, hosted by Julie Booth.
- Tuesday, April 3: Talk by Judy DeLoache, University of Virginia. "Becoming symbol minded: young childrens' understanding and use of symbolic objects". Speech at 3:30 p.m. in Weiss Hall (Hamilton Library, 6th floor). Refreshments served at 3:00 pm, hosted by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek and Nora Newcombe.
- Thursday, April 19: Talk by Ken Pugh, President and Director of Research, Haskins Laboratories. "Neuro-imaging studies of Reading and Language Development: An update on recent findings." Co-sponsored by Temple Neuroscience. 2:30 pm; Kiva Auditorium, Ritter Hall, hosted by Kim Curby.
- Wednesday, October 19: Talk by Hal Pashler on "Testing and Spacing Effects: Improving the Efficiency of Learning", University of CA, San Diego; see http://www.pashler.com/ (hosted by Kim Curby.) Speech at 3:30 p.m. in Weiss Hall (Hamilton Library). Refreshments served at 3:00 pm
- Tuesday, November 15: Talk by Christine Massey on "Incorporating Principles of Learning in Computer-based Interventions to Improve Understanding of Fraction and Measurement Concepts", University of Pennsylvania, see http://www.ircs.upenn.edu/pennlincs/ (hosted by Nora Newcombe). Speech at 3:30 p.m. in Weiss Hall (Hamilton Library). Refreshments served at 3:00 pm
- Thursday, December 8: Talk by Daniel Ansari on "Does number sense matter? Evidence from brain and behavior", University of Western Ontario, see http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/ansari_res.htm (hosted by Jim Byrnes). Co-sponsored by the neuroscience program.
1:15 to 2:15
Journal Club-Hamilton Library, 6th Floor Weiss Hall, discussion begins at
2:30 to 4:00 Speech, Kiva Auditorium, Ritter Hall.
2010 - 2011 TILES Meetings
- Nov 2: Josh Aronson, Assoc Professor, NYU
- Nov 3: Alan Collins, Profesor Emeritus, Northwestern
- May 3: Rob Goldstone, Professor of Psychology Indiana University
2009 - 2010 TILES Meetings
- Sept. 17: Get acquainted wine-and-cheese reception.
- Oct. 1: Talk by John Bruer, President, James S. McDonnell Foundation
- Oct. 29: Talk by Ken Koedinger, Carnegie-Mellon University, PI of Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center
- Nov. 12: Get-acquainted talks by Temple faculty
- Dec. 10: Get-acquainted talks by Temple faculty
- Jan. 28: Talk by Dan Schwartz, Stanford
- Feb. 11: Talk by Joshua Aronson, NYU (cancelled due to snow)
- Mar. 25: Get-acquainted talks by Temple faculty
- Apr. 22: Get-acquainted talks by Temple faculty