Aging in Place
Benefits of Aging in Place (Cont.)
- Close to family and friends
- Receive care and support at home
- Avoid trauma of moving to a new home
Notes and References
Some other good things about "aging in place" are to: (1) be able to stay close to our family and friends, (2) receive care and support at home rather than moving to a nursing home or assisted living facility,1 and (3) feel better and happier in a familiar place.3
Many people enjoy living close to their family and friends so they can do things with them. Also, being able to remain wherever we currently live allows us continue to do many of the activities we have always liked to do in the community we are familiar with.1
Aging in place also helps us save money and that, in turn, can help our society to save money as a whole.2 Assisted living facilities tend to cost much more than remaining in our own homes. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey, the average daily cost of a home health worker is $20 per hour, but cost of a nursing home is $212 per day.2
Many people also feel safe within their homes, so aging in place can help us avoid relocation trauma.3 Research has shown that moving to a new place may have negative impacts on one's physical and mental health. Some research suggests aging in place can help people feel happier as well as help them perform better in terms of memory and activities of daily living.3 Now that we have discussed the benefits and importance of aging in place, it is time to discuss what we can do to help us remain in our own homes for as long as possible.
- Suarez, S. (2005). 55+ Housing preference survey: Most older residents plan to stay in current home. The Research and Technology Center Montgomery County Department of Park and Planning. Retrieved from: http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/research/data_library/housing/studies/housing_55_final_version.pdf
- Genworth. (2014). Genworth 2014 Cost of Care Survey: Home care providers, adult day health care facilities, assisted living facilities and nursing homes. Retrieved from: https://www.genworth.com/dam/Americas/US/PDFs/Consumer/corporate/130568_032514_CostofCare_FINAL_nonsecure.pdf
- Marek, K. D., Popejoy, L., Petroski, G., Mehr, D., Rantz, M, & Lin, W. (2005). Clinical outcomes of aging in place. Nursing Research, 54:3, 202-211.