Assistive Technology Device Demonstration
Assistive Technology Demonstration Days
Having trouble reading, talking on the phone, or doing other everyday tasks? Join us during our Fall Demonstration Days.
Contact us to schedule a time.
Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology, a program of the Institute, will hold free demonstration days October through December. People with disabilities who want to have a "hands on" learning experience with assistive technology (AT) devices are invited to register for one or more of these events at the Institute's office on the main campus of Temple University. Each Demonstration Day will offer a guided exploration of AT, comparing and contrasting device features to provide the necessary information to purchase the device.
AT Demonstration Days are scheduled for these dates:
October 13, 2016
November 14, 2016
November 22, 2016
December 13, 2016
Demonstrations are free, however registration is required.
Schedule an appointment now:
Call 800-204-7428 (voice)
If you feel a topic doesn't meet your need, please contact us.
Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology, PIAT, now provides opportunities for "guided exploration" of a specific device or category of devices. For example if you're not sure what the Ovation reading machine does, or if you're not familiar with the differences between the Ameriphone and the Crystal Tone amplified telephones, you may request a demonstration to learn more about the devices.
Device demonstrations are available to people with disabilities and their families, as well as providers of education, health and related services. Demonstrations will:
- Increase your understanding of the types of devices that can help you with a specific need, such as talking on the telephone or reading your mail
- Improve your knowledge of a device's features, and how those features differ from other devices that perform the same thing, such as the difference between two personal listening devices
- Increase your understanding of how device(s) can help you at work, in school, at home and in your community
Requests for a demonstration can be made by telephone or email. A mutually convenient time and place for the demonstration will be set. Your request may result in a group demonstration at an agency site, may be individually accommodated at one of our offices, or you may be referred to events, trainings or services readily available in your community.
PIAT operates two comprehensive demonstration centers at which individuals can see a broad range of assistive technology devices:
More about the new Demonstration Centers
Amy S. Goldman
Voice: 800-204-7428, in-state only; or 215-204-3862
TTY: 866-268-0579, in-state only
* Please note that Device Demonstrations are NOT intended to
- Instruct you on how to use a device you have borrowed or already own, or provide advanced instruction to operate a device
- Assess your abilities to use certain device(s)
- Evaluate what specific device(s) will individually benefit you or help you accomplish a particular task
- Replace the expertise, services and support of an AT provider (OT, SLP, etc.)