CENTER FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE
AND MULTICULTURAL EDUCATION
Philadelphia Diamond Scholars
PHILADELPHIA DIAMOND SCHOLARS PROGRAM
- The Temple University Philadelphia Diamond Scholars program, or PhDS for short, is a mentoring program administered by the Center for Social Justice and Multicultural Education of the Office of Multicultural Affairs to improve the retention and graduation rates of Temple University students from Philadelphia.
- The PhDS program provides a unique opportunity for new Temple students to receive assistance in fulfilling their academic and professional dreams. Scholars receive support from a wide array of student leaders, as well as administrators and alumni who participate in various program activities.
- The PhDS program provides socially engaging, intellectually simulating, and politically relevant activities that will help new students adjust to the Temple University environment.
- The program is open to any incoming new or first year transfer student who is committed to being academically successful at Temple by participating in a variety of academic, social and professional development activities.
MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The program is designed to help students navigate through Temple by providing assistance in:
- improving academic performance
- making connections throughout the university
- adjusting to college life
- understanding academic culture
- developing productive relationships with peers, faculty and administrators
- preparing for a professional career
- becoming involved in campus leadership opportunities
- participating in community service activities
- As part of the first year experience, Philadelphia Diamond Scholars will participate in a series of seminars designed to foster an understanding and appreciation of university life.
- To promote Scholars’ holistic development, the PhDS program will have a range of programs that enable Scholars to participate in campus leadership opportunities, develop a commitment to health and wellness, participate in community service projects, and develop a lifelong commitment to learning.
- Program participants will receive support from campus leaders from various student organizations. The program will also provide free trips to cultural enrichment events on and off-campus including museums, lecture series, concerts, films, and conferences. The program will begin with a Kickoff Conference to assist Scholars in making the transition from high school to college.
To become a member of the Philadelphia Diamond Scholars Program, start by completing the online application.
The PhDS sponsors various programs throughout the year to assist students in making an easy transition to college. On Saturday, September 13 the PhDS will sponsor its second annual Kickoff Conference. Kickoff Conference is a lively, interactive event that will prepare new Scholars to face the new academic and interpersonal challenges that Temple University will provide for them.
Click here to register for the Kickoff Conference
To view the 2007-2008 listing of program activities, please click on the link below: