Women of Color Meeting
*** *** *** *** ***
Designed for women across ethnicities, Temple University Women of Color (TU-WoC) provides a place for women to engage on topical and relevant issues of the day within a safe, inclusive and supportive environment. Open to Temple University women, TU-WoC fosters a much-needed support system for women working in the academy as staff members, administration, and faculty. TU-WoC sponsors networking opportunities for women who may experience a sense of isolation and lack of affirmation in the University community. TU-WoC is a “think tank” and “center without walls” where women not only learn more than survival skills for working in academic settings; but also where women can build community through professional development, “connectiveness,” and mentoring. TU-WoC supports opportunities for social networking and shared cultural engagement and expression.
TU-WoC offers opportunities for scholarly, synergistic, and organic “Sister Circles” through activities including:
- Brown Bags (Women with Purpose)
- Cross-Cultural events
- Book Club (Women of Dimensions)
- Special Projects
TU-WoC seeks to engage, enrich, and broaden our understanding and awareness of diversity through shared experiences as women, regardless of culture, religious beliefs, or vocation. TU-WOC is open to any and all individuals who share our mission.
- Men of Color dialogue group convenes in the fall of 2008
- Discussions begin in summer of 2009 regarding a similar event for Women of Color
- First annual Women of Color Networking reception held on September 16, 2009
- Nearly 100 women attend the reception. In brainstorming session ideas offered included brown bag series, book club, networking, health issues, cultural exchanges, mentoring to undergrads, and a number of other ideas.
- Steering Committee formed
- First Steering Committee Meeting held on January 21, 2010
- Subcommittees formed
- Book club (Women of Dimensions)
- Brown Bag (Women of Purpose)
- Scholarship Committee
- Financial Affairs Committee
- April 2010 – Activities Begin
- Additional committees formed include Special Events and Fundraising