The mission of the Learning & Development Division (L & D) of Temple University’s Department of Human Resources is to enhance the current and future organizational effectiveness of Temple University by increasing employees’ abilities to maximize performance. We are committed to supporting the continued growth and development of Temple University’s most valuable resource, its people.
The staff of Learning & Development carries out this mission by:
- Cultivating Temple's workforce and enhancing Temple's organizational culture through professional development programs;
- Promoting diversity to protect individuals from discrimination and harassment;
- Assisting individuals in developing their interpersonal and managerial skills;
- Responding to conflict issues within Temple's work units to facilitate performance management, foster team unity and productivity;
- Improving the quality of work life and job satisfaction for employees;
- Educating employees so they can best utilize the benefits, services, policies, and procedures of the University.
In our continuing efforts to meet Temple University’s internal and external customers' needs, the Learning & Development division of HR continually observes and assesses individual, departmental and organizational needs in order to:
- Assist employees in their personal and professional development and advancement
- Assist employees with resolving personal problems that impact work performance
- Conceptualize, design and present training programs intended to motivate, challenge, strengthen and enlighten staff and to align professional skills with organizational needs
- Enhance customer service
- Enhance intra and inter department teamwork
- Enhance workforce/organizational flexibility
- Improve key interpersonal skills including communication, problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Improve quality and quantity of productivity
- Increase employee commitment, encourage favorable attitudes, loyalty and cooperation
- Lower or remove performance deficiencies
- Lower turnover and absenteeism rates
- Meet regulatory and legal requirements
- Orient new employees to the University
- Promote and support change and assist individual and departments as they adapt to change
- Promote the valuing of diversity and prevent and correct discriminatory and harassing workplace behaviors
- Reduce human resource complaints and litigation
- Reduce workplace stress and burn-out
- Share information related to Human Resources and other university policies and procedures
- Support institutional mission and strategy
Learning & Development is committed to the following values:
Quality Service - If we are to be credible in promoting excellent quality service as a University priority, we must practice what we preach. Therefore, we are committed to providing superior service. We strive to respond to requests for services in a timely, appropriate, and customer-focused manner.
Valuing Diversity - Temple University's strength and special character come from its rich diversity of students, faculty and staff. The University is enhanced by multiculturalism. We must treasure and cultivate our differences and similarities in an atmosphere of acceptance and respect.
Teamwork - Our University relies on the cooperative efforts of everyone. We must work together, solving, sharing our successes, and creating new visions.
Recognition of the Individual - Each person is an essential part of the team. We must strive to treat each other with dignity, trust, respect, and equality. We support open communication, involvement, empowerment, and recognition of excellence. Our staff, faculty, and administrators are Temple’s "acres of diamonds" and we welcome the opportunity to support their lifelong learning.