Defined Contribution Retirement Plan FAQs


Here are some answers to some commonly asked questions.  If you do not see the information you are looking for, please contact the Benefits office at or call 215-926-2281.

Q. What is vesting?

A. Vesting is ownership of the account of University contributions.  If you are 100% vested, that means you have

    ownership of that account.  You are always 100% vested in any accounts of your employee contributions.

Q. How can I tell if I am vested or not?

A. You can log onto TU Portal and navigate to the Staff Tools tab. Find the Benefits Information Channel and

    click on Retirement Plans.  You may view the vesting indicator there. You may also log into Self Service Banner

    directly, navigate to Employee information, then Benefits and Deductions, then Retirement.


Q. I have a question about my vesting. Should I call TIAA directly?

A. You should call the Benefits Office at 215-926-2281. Vesting at the University is based upon participating in

    the plan. We can research the issue for you and update TIAA-CREF and Fidelity’s records.


Q. I am not currently participating in the Plan. How do I enroll?

A. Open enrollment is twice a year during June and December. You can enroll during open enrollment. Check the

    Online Enrollment Guide for instructions on application material.


Q. I am a part-time employee.  Can I contribute to TIAA-CREF or Fidelity Investments?

A. Yes, any employee paid on the University payroll can elect to make voluntary pre-tax or Roth 403(b) after tax

    contributions. Employees may elect to start voluntary contributions the first of any month. You do not need to

    wait until open enrollment.


Q. How do I withdraw my contributions?

A. You may not make withdrawals while you are still employed by the university. Once you leave Temple, you may

    contact TIAA-CREF and/or Fidelity Investments directly and ask for distribution information.


Q. Can I take a loan against my balance?

A. Yes, the University plan permits active employee to apply for a loan. Employees have a maximum of three

    outstanding loans from all TIAA-CREF and Fidelity accounts combined and are not eligible to apply for a loan if

    they have defaulted on a previous loan. For more information on loans, click here.


Q. Can I rollover contributions from my previous retirement plan into Temple’s plan?

A. Yes, rollovers are permitted. Once you have enrolled and have your Temple account established with

    TIAA-CREF and/or Fidelity, you can contact them directly for the Rollover forms and instructions. TIAA can be

    reached at 1-800-842-2010 and Fidelity can be reached at 1-800-343-0860.


Q.  I would like to contribute the maximum amount permitted by the IRS to my account. How do I

     determine this amount?

A.  The IRS has limits that are subject to change each calendar year. It is best to contact us directly so that we

     may assist you with this. Please call 215-926-2281 or e-mail us at

Q.  Are there resources available to help me manage and plan my finances?

A.  In addition to the individuals counseling sessions held onsite for TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments, we have

     free online webinars provided by TIAA-CREF. The webinars give you an in depth look into how you improve your

     financial knowledge and better plan for the future. To access on the webinars, Click here.


About Us | Site Map | Contact Us | © Temple University