Admission Requirements and Deadlines
Admission to the MSW Program is very competitive because there are far more applicants than the school can admit. It is, therefore, to your advantage to apply early and to ensure that the School of Social Work receives all supporting documents.
Applications are accepted on a rolling admission basis: as completed applications are received, they are reviewed, decisions made, and the applicants notified. Therefore, we suggest you submit all parts of your application as early as possible. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Once your application is received, you will be provided a PIN number to access TUPortal, Temple´s student information system, so that you can monitor the progress of your application. This system is available whether you submit your application online or on paper.
Click here to apply online.
Letters of Reference:
Three (3) references are required in support of an application for admission. These may be academic or professional, with the following guidelines:
- Applicants who have graduated from college within the last five years should submit at least one reference from a professor or official of the college or university.
- Applicants seeking Advanced Standing status should obtain two references from their college, one of which must be from their Senior Seminar Professor, Advisor, Field Placement Supervisor, or Program Chair.
- Applicants with employment experience in the social services or a related field should submit at least one reference from a supervisor or administrator at their place of employment.
Statement of Professional Plans and Goals:
The Statement of Professional Plans and Goals essay is an important component of the admissions application in social work. It provides an opportunity for you to discuss your motivation for pursuing graduate study in social work, relevant personal and professional experiences, and knowledge of diversity and social justice.
The essay is evaluated based on the following criteria:
- ability to reflect on and summarize significant and relevant experiences;
- ability to conceptualize and think critically;
- writing proficiency.
Compose an essay of 4-6 pages (double-spaced, 12 point font) in which you reflect upon the following areas:
- Your reasons for seeking graduate education in social work at Temple;
- Significant experiences (work, volunteer, community, and/or field placement) with people of various ethnic, religious, national origin, social class, gender, sexual orientation and/ or racial backgrounds and the impact/relevance of those experiences to you;
- A population and/or social problem about which you have a special interest and your reasons for that interest;
- Reflect upon issues of social justice as it relates to this population and/or problem.
Applicants should submit their essay in Microsoft Word (or pdf format) and include their name and page number in the header.
- Applicants for Temple University Harrisburg and community based cohorts, please send your essay to Kari Leaver at email@example.com.
Applicants are not required to take any standardized exam to be considered for admission to the program.
While the interview is not a requirement for admission, some applicants may be invited for an interview.
A professional resume is required.
Students seeking to transfer to the MSW program at Temple University from another CSWE accredited social work program are required to meet the criteria for admission and follow the application procedures. Additionally, one of the academic/professional references must be from the current academic/faculty advisor in the program from which the applicant is transferring and must address the academic standing in that program. If not currently enrolled, the reference must be from a former professor/faculty advisor.