Andrea K. Warner
Welcome to the Family Development programs and services site
Temple University is dedicated to being the home for the National Family Development Programs, supporting Family Development Models, championing a national presence and assuming oversight to ensure that professional development and credentialing is standardized and all partners allow for and support fidelity to the Family Development model and national program evaluation activities. As a national steward of the Family Development concept, Temple University continues to support its expansion.
Professional Development Training Programs
Effective January 2013, the Temple University Family Development Program will be offering the Credential for Strengths-based Family Workers (SFW), instead of the FDC and the Temple National Family Development Credential Board will become the Temple National Family Development Board.
What is the Credential for Strengths-based Family Workers?
Credential for Strengths-based Family Workers (SFW) is an enhanced training and credentialing process for family workers which like its predecessor the FDC, provides training for family development workers to be able to facilitate a family’s ability to obtain and maintain self-sufficiency.
- Is competency based
- Has clearly articulated connections to learning objectives
- Uses precise measures to demonstrate competence
- Includes a process for continuing professional development and credential renewal
Features of SFW
- Comprehensive classroom instruction by trained community based family development instructors
- Portfolio coaching by a trained portfolio coach
- Demonstration of core family worker skills
- Assessment exam based on specific learning objectives
- Credential issued by Temple University
- Opportunity to earn 6 college credits
To transition from FDC to SFW
- There will be a grandfathering in period from January 1 through October 1, 2013 during which any FDC credentialed worker may apply at no cost to receive the Credential for Strengths-based Family Workers (SFW) by completing this short application. After 10/1/2013 we will continue to accept applications, but will charge a small fee for processing, printing, and mailing.
- Students recruited for FDC prior to and up through June 30, 2013 will receive both the FDC and SFW
- Beginning July 1, 2013 and forward the SFW credential will be awarded
What happened to FDC?
FDC is an interagency strengths-based professional development program. Temple University Family Development Programs supports the concepts and theories that comprise FDC. The Credential for Strengths-based Family Workers (SFW) updates those concepts to further enhance the professional development of family workers and the challenges family workers currently face.