MSW students with CWEL funding are not permitted to take this certificate program while enrolled in MSW program.
Can students from other masters programs take any/all of the courses?
Only if there is space availability, are in a graduate program as defined above, and take the courses in the sequence outlined below.
May I take courses without applying to the certificate program?
Yes. If you would like to enroll in one of the first 3 courses offered, please complete the single course application form and submit it to Lynn Notestine. You must have completed a master’s program to be eligible for this option. Prospective Harrisburg students click here. Prospective Ambler students click here.
Can I transfer courses from another academic institution?
If you have completed comparable courses at another accredited college or university within 5 years preceding your application to this program and you earned at least a B, you may receive credit for up to two of those courses depending on review and approval by the program coordinator.
Obtaining transfer credit requires the schools you attended to send an official transcript and description of the course to attention of:
Lynn Notestine, Temple University Harrisburg 234 Strawberry Square Harrisburg, PA 17101
Can the courses in the certificate program apply toward another degree?
Other universities may allow students to transfer the courses to their degree program and courses may be used as electives for certain degree programs.
How many classes do I have to take?
There are five 3 credit courses required to complete this certificate program.
Sequence of Coursework (offered in cohort fashion and must be taken in the sequence outlined-participants must agree to attend all sessions of the program and maintain a GPA of 3.0 to remain in good standing in the program)
Fall - Introduction to Play Therapy
Spring - Play Therapy Techniques
Summer - Play Therapy Applications for Special Populations
Fall - Special Topics in Play Therapy Practice
Spring - Advanced Play Therapy Practice and Seminar
Is an internship or practicum required?
An internship/practicum is not required. All students have the option to arrange an internship/practicum depending upon their individual needs. TUH/SSW staff is available to assist with this process.
What are the benefits of taking these courses?
- Graduate certificate in specialized practice of play therapy
- Courses provide instruction in history, theories and applications of play therapy consistent with APT requirements for instruction in these areas and as such satisfies the 150 hour RPT credentialing education requirement.
- Completion of the certificate will provide 150 hours of specific play therapy instruction meeting one of the requirements to secure the RPT (Registered Play Therapist) credential. The RPT is a credential issued by the Association of Play Therapy (APT). APT is the primary professional organization dedicated to the field of Play Therapy whose mission is to promote the value of play, play therapy and credentialed play therapists. To apply for RPT certification an application process is required which includes additional credentialing requirements of license for independent clinical practice, general clinical experience, and supervised play therapy experience. For more information regarding complete APT credentialing process visit the APT website at www.4APT.org and click on credentials link.
- Temple University Harrisburg is an APT approved continuing education provider. #07-206
- Please note that the Graduate Certificate in Play therapy does not certify individuals in Play Therapy. It provides educational play therapy coursework and satisfies the APT´s 150 instructional hour requirement to apply to become an RPT/RPT-S. Upon completion of the certificate program one can list its credential as Graduate Certificate in Play Therapy.
Will it ever be offered again or at another location?
Offering the program for future cohorts of students will be determined by the number of qualified applicants.
What does it cost?
The cost is the regular graduate tuition. For current tuition rates, please visit the Bursar's office. Participants are responsible for any textbooks required in the courses.