WebFocus is a third party software product that has been used to create a 'webified' reporting environment that is both functional and easy to use.
The Temple WebFocus Reporting System gives even the occasional user the capability of running flexible, predefined reports anytime and almost anywhere. It is intended to reduce the need for intervention by professional programming staff while minimizing the knowledge that one must have in order to generate meaningful reports.
|Main WebFocus Menu|
WebFocus uses actual data or extracted files to dynamically generate reports that reflect database transaction activity that is usually no more than 12 hours old.
The Temple University implementation of WebFocus balances ease of use and functionality. To maximize ease-of-use, there is an intentional emphasis on 'predefined' reporting although you may still write your own reports if you want to. To mazimize functionality, reports are designed to be multi-purpose.
The WebFocus Reporting System is intended to be an adjunct to the reporting and data extraction capabilities of mainframe Focus and is not intended to replace mainframe Focus. In fact, some of the larger reports that are processed on the mainframe may not be appropriate for processing through WebFocus.
| What can I do with WebFocus?|
Although any University data can be accessed with WebFocus, a suite of reports has been developed primarily for ISIS users. The following are brief descriptions of only a few of these reports.
- Comparative Headcount Report shows headcounts for the last five years in any of about 15 categories such as matriculation status, curriculum, full/part time status, etc.
- Students Not Yet Registered shows a list of students who were registered at the end of the previous semester, have not graduated, and do not have 'hard' holds that would prevent registration, but who have not yet registered for the current semester. The listing includes contact information.
- Section Listing allows the user to produce a listing of sections that includes any of about 30 fields. The report can be sorted in a number of ways.
- Comparative Admissions Report shows the number of applications, admissions, registrations, and denials for the current date compared with a similiar date in the previous year.
- Student Recruitment Listing is a report that lists prospective undergraduate students. Various data can be selected including address and phone information. Avery 5160 mailing labels can be generated or the data can be downloaded into an Excel spreadsheet for use with a Word mail merge document.
| A browser is all you need.|
While easy to use, the WebFocus Reporting System allows some degree of customization. Report parameters can be entered by selecting options from a drop-down list or check-off box. Complex selection criteria can be entered using the Focus programming language (examples are provided which can be cut-and-pasted into the report form).
|Example of Report Form|
These is also a great deal of flexibility available in how a report is delivered to the user's desktop. One can choose to see the output using browser software or one can choose to have the file sent to the local PC in a number of standard file formats including Excel. The transfer of data to the PC takes place through the browser software and no other software is needed.
|Drop-down list of output options|
Once a report has appeared on the screen, the usual browser capabilities can be used to navigate, search, and print it.
There is plenty of help available for each report that explains what the report shows, what the report parameters are, and how to enter selection criteria. A link to the data dictionary for each report is also available for users who want or need to generate more complex reports.
|Example of Report Help|
| How does one get access to WebFocus?|
If you are interested in getting access to reports using WebFocus, please contact the WebFocus Support Staff or your Computer services contact staff. You will need to provide a written request signed by your Budget Unit Head stating what reports you will need.
Once you have a WebFocus account, you can begin generating reports by pointing your browser at www.temple.edu/webdata or webfocus.temple.edu.
| Note on Confidentiality of Student Records|
Please note that student data are protected under the Federal Educational Family Rights and Privacy Act (aka FERPA). Reports derived from student data are governed by Temple University Guidelines Pertaining to the Confidentiality of Student Records.