Updating Your CEMS Inventory
All containers in CEMS must have a quantity, manufacturer, and an updated Evaluation Date to be in compliance. All containers MUST have 2014 dates by December 31, 2014. If all of your containers have quantities and manufacturers, move on to the physical evaluation and update of Evaluation Dates.
Updating Evaluation Dates:
1) This is required, even if your inventory hasn't changed. Before updating your Evaluation Dates you must perform a physical evaluation of your inventory to make sure that your chemicals have not expired, are still in usable condition, are not chemical waste, and, if applicable, peroxide has not formed.
2) Log into CEMS. If you only have one location, look at the My Inventory Locations field, click the drop-down arrow, and select your location. Your inventory will open in CEMS and you can move on to step three. If you have more than one location, click on the Search Inventory link at the top of the screen. Start typing your name in the owner field and then click on it when it appears in the drop-down menu. Then click the Search button.
3) Your complete inventory will open. Down at the bottom of the screen you can click on the "View 25 results per page" menu and adjust how many results you are viewing at one time.
4) Review your inventory and confirm that the data is accurate and complete. Once you are certain it is accurate, click on the "Update Inventory in Result Set" button at the bottom of the screen.
5) The next screen will list all of your inventory. Scroll down to where it says Update Evaluation Dates. Change answer to Yes. Then click the Submit button and then OK to confirm changes.
6) You will be taken to a screen that says Update Inventory. In small italics it will say "inventory updated."
Marking Containers Empty:
If you have containers in your CEMS inventory that you no longer physically have, mark them as empty in CEMS.
1) Log into CEMS and view your inventory.
2) Click the Open Record button (in the far left column) next to the container that is no longer present.
3) In the container, click on the Mark Empty button. The container will be removed from your active inventory. Note: CEMS retains the container information, so if you mark something empty by accident, it can be restored. Just contact EHRS for assistance.
Updating Quantities and/or Manufacturers:
1) Log into CEMS here.
2) Once logged into CEMS, look at the Chemical Inventory section of the home screen and see if you have a link that says "My containers missing quantity" and/or "My containers missing manufacturer." This means that you have containers that are missing this required information. Click the link.
3) The next screen will show you all the containers missing either quantity or manufacturer information. Click on the Open Record button next to the first container (it will be in the far left column). When the container record opens, add the quantity in the "Quantity Remaining" field. Make sure to include both the the size of the container (ie 25) and the unit (ie ml). Click Save Changes once complete.
4) If you are missing a manufacturer, follow the same steps in Step 3 and look for the Manufacturer field. Click the drop-down arrow and locate your Manufacturer. Click the name of the manufacturer so it appears in the box. Click Save Changes once complete.
5) As you complete the missing information for each container, it will disappear from the list. Once you are certain that you have completed the quantities and/or manufacturers, move on to updating the Evaluation Dates.
Changing a Container's Location (One Container at a Time):
1) Access your inventory and then click on the Open Record button (far left column) next to the container you want to move.
2) In the Container Record click on the drop down menu for location, find your new location, and click on the room.
3) Click Save Changes.
Changing the Location of Multiple Containers at One Time:
1) Either print out or save a copy of your inventory using the Export function.
2) Decide which containers are going into which room.
3) In CEMS, click on Multi-Update Chemical Inventory in the Quick Links box. In the Update Inventory box, either enter manually enter or copy and paste from Excel version of your inventory the barcodes you want to move.
4) Once you have all containers listed, go down to Update Location. The first time you add a container to a room you will need to click Other and then find the room from the complete list of rooms. You can click the Name column, choose "Filter," and tell CEMS just to show the room you are looking for. Click Select and that location will show up in the Update Location window. (Once you have at least one container listed under an owner's name in that location, it will appear in the drop-down menu on the Update Inventory screen.)
5) Move down the screen and click Submit and then confirm your changes. All of the listed containers will be moved to that room.
Moving the Entire Contents of a Location to a New Location:
1) Access the inventory for the room you need to move and click on the Update Inventory in Result Set button.
2) CEMS will list all of the chemicals in that room. Scroll down to Update Location and click the drop-down menu. If your new location is listed there click on. If it is not click on the Other button and then find the room from the complete list of rooms. You can click the Name column, choose "Filter," and tell CEMS just to show the room you are looking for. Click Select and that location will show up in the Update Location window. (Once you have at least one container listed under an owner's name in that location, it will appear in the drop-down menu on the Update Inventory screen.)
3) Move down the screen and click Submit and then confirm your changes. All of the listed containers will be moved to that room.
Adding Chemicals or Containers to Your Inventory
1) Request barcodes by sending e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include name of Owner, building/room number and number of barcodes needed. (You can ask for more than you need on first request.)
2) From the Home screen/tab, click Add/Update Inventory under Chemical Inventory.
3) Enter the Owner name and then select the location from the location menu. Enter the barcode(s) that you are assigning and then click Next.
4) Enter the Chemical Name, select it from the drop-down menu, and click Next.
5) Enter the CAS numbers. Use a / to separate the CAS numbers from the percent concentration. Click Next.
6) Add manufacturer, quantity (per container, not number of containers), expiration date (in yyyy-mm-dd format, if no expiration date on container, please enter a future date), and container type. Click Next.
7) Message will confirm that container(s) have been added to your inventory.