Chemical Safety Program
The Chemical Safety Program is responsible for providing guidance and support to the Universities students, faculty and staff concerning the recognition, evaluation and control of chemicals hazards. The goal is to provide the safest work environment for all personnel and the surrounding community as well as minimizing risk to the environment and property.
Temple CEMS - Chemical Inventory and SDS
CEMS is Temple's online chemical inventory system. Anyone who owns chemicals in either the University or the Health System must have their inventory in CEMS and must keep that inventory current. Please contact Ryan Kohler, the EHRS CEMS Administrator, at 2-9282 for more information.
The system itself can be accessed by clicking here. A CEMS account is necessary to access inventories.
CEMS has almost 25,000 SDS on file in PDF format. Click here to access the search engine. A CEMS account is not required to access SDS. For more information, contact our office @ (215) 707-2520.
CEMS inventories must have quantities, manufacturers, and 2015 Evaluation Dates for all containers to be considered in compliance for this year.
CEMS User Guide (PDF format)
New Inventory Template (Only for locations that do not already have an inventory in CEMS)
New Inventory Template Instructions (Please follow when completing the New Inventory Template)
Global Harmonization System (GHS) of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) has issued its final rule on the revised changes to the Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) on March 26, 2012. This revision will align the HCS with the Global Harmonized System (GHS) of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals.
- Global Harmonization System (GHS) Information
- Summary of Changes in OSHA Hazard Communications Standard
- Chemical Hygiene Guide
- Anesthetic Gas Use Guide
- Secondary Containment for Hazardous Materials Storage Guidelines
Standard Operating Procedures
- Request to Test Unknown Chemical Form
- Controlled Substance Registration Form
- Assurance on Hazardous Procedures
- Hazardous Materials/Operations Registration Form
- 5.1 - Chemical Safety Program
- 5.2 - Hazard Communication Program
- 5.3 - Chemical Hygiene Plan
- 5.4 - Chemical Hygiene Officer
- 5.5 - Chemical Laboratories Inspection Program
- 5.6 - Chemical Inventory
- 5.7 - Chemical Spill Management
- 5.8 - Formaldehyde Safety
- 5.9 - Mercury Safety
- 5.10 - Ethylene Oxide Safety
- 5.11 - Glutaraldehyde Safety
- 5.12 - Cyanide Safety
- 5.13 - Nitrous Oxide Safety
- 5.14 - Lead Safety
- 5.15 - Hydrofluoric Acid Safety
- 5.16 - Monitoring for Hazardous Chemicals
- 5.17 - Hazardous Drug Safety
- 5.18 - Cryogenic Liquids