The Intern certificate is a valid professional certificate that entitles the holder to fill a full-time professional teaching position. An Intern certificated individual is entitled to all rights and privileges of a temporary professional employee as defined by law. The current regulation states that a Teacher Intern certificate qualifies the holder to hold a full-time teaching position in the certification endorsement area in elementary and secondary schools of Pennsylvania.
The Teacher Intern certificate is issued for a period not to exceed three calendar years and qualifies the holder to perform all the duties, functions and responsibilities of the certification area(s) for which it is endorsed. Its validity begins the month of issuance and lapses 36 months later whether or not the holder has been continuously employed on the Intern certificate by a public school. This certificate can only be issued once, and under no circumstances can this certificate be renewed. The validity of the Teacher Intern certificate, whether issued for general education areas regularly endorsed on instructional certificates or for vocational education areas, is contingent upon (a) the holder rendering satisfactory service to the employing school entity, and (b) maintaining continuous enrollment and making satisfactory progress within an approved teacher intern program leading to issuance of the Instructional I certificate.
The requirements for the Intern Certificate are as follows:
Pass: All sections of Praxis I and required sections of Praxis II. Industrial Education candidates must pass an occupational competency assessment.
Middle Grades Education Specialization
Complete with a grade of “B-” or better (a total of 18 semester hours):
- Education 5402 – Understanding the Adolescent Learner in Middle Schools
- Middle Grades Education 5101 – Citizenship, Cultures, and Social Studies Education
- Middle Grades Education 5102 – Reading and Writing in the Middle Grades
- Special Education 5187 – Grad Assess Practicum SPED
- Special Education 5111 – Educating Students with Disabilities in Inclusive Settings
- Science Education 4108 – Teaching and Learning Science in the Middle Grades
- Education 5404 – Teaching Mathematics in the Middle Grades
Career and Technical Education
Business, Computer, and Information Technology (BCIT) and Marketing Education
Complete with a grade of “B-” or better (a total of 12 semester hours):
- Education 5605 - Models of Teaching
- Business Education 5513 – Methods of Teaching
- Business Education 5514 – Current Developments and Trends
- Career & Technical Education 5426 – Teacher Professionalism and Staff Development in Work Based
Education OR Career & Technical Ed. 5401 – Curriculum Development in Career & Technical Education
Available upon promise of employment from a school district and completion of statutory requirements including state tests.
Complete with grade of “B-” or better (a total of 18 semester hours):
- Education 5605 – Models of Teaching
- Education 5402 – Child and Adolescent Development
- Secondary Education 5471 – Reading Problems in Secondary Schools
- Pedagogy 1 in certification area
- Pedagogy 2 in certification area
- TESL 8631 – Foundations of Language Teaching
Applying for Intern Certification
As of Spring 2012, the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) is requiring that all applications for credentials be completed and submitted online via the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS): PA-TIMS.com. Paper applications are no longer being accepted and can no longer be submitted directly to Temple University for processing.
- Please visit the TIMS User Guide for Temple Students for detailed information on how to apply using TIMS.
- See also: Pennsylvania Department of Education (click on "Certification" on the left-side menu)