Educational Leadership Supervisor of Curriculum & Instruction Certification
A Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction is a district-wide specialist in curriculum and instruction across the total grade organization and is responsible for performing the following duties:
- supervising instruction and evaluating staff as designated by the school superintendent;
- designing and developing curriculum, learning materials and innovative educational programs;
- conducting experimental instructional programs, and
- directing and conducting basic or applied educational research.
(see the Pennsylvania Department of Education site for more details)
Why Choose Temple?
Temple University's Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction certificate program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Students who successfully complete all program requirements will, at the same time, satisfy the academic requirements for an administrative certificate in Pennsylvania.
In addition to the academic requirements, the Pennsylvania Department of Education requires candidates to pass the Praxis 10410 test: Educational Leadership - Administration & Supervision [PDF]. After all academic requirements are met and the scores from the Praxis are reported, the College of Education will endorse the successful candidate for certification.
Students are required to take a minimum of 18 semester hours in 6 graduate courses. Students may elect to receive credit for maximum of 6 credits of appropriate courses into the Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction Certification with the approval of an Faculty Academic Advisor.
Required Core Courses:
Four required courses comprise the general supervisory component:
- EA 5300 Introduction to Issues in School Leadership
- EA 5301 Leadership for Learning
- EA 5303 Leadership in Diverse Context
- EA 5304 School Operations, Management, Technology & Communications
- EA 9285 Internship in Administration
- (and a choice of one of the following courses)
- EA 5305 Knowledge Use for School Improvement: How to Access Interpet & Apply Research
- EA 5306 Change Leadership
Applicants must submit:
- Certification Program Application (available online)
- Original transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed showing an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- A photocopy of a Pennsylvania teaching certificate.
- A recommendation using Temple University’s Assessment of Potential for Educational Leadership form [pdf]. This recommendation must be from a practicing administrator or supervisor who has had a reasonable opportunity to be familiar with the candidate’s qualifications.
For more information about this program, contact:
Ms. Marcia Whitaker, Office Manager
phone: (215) 204-8063
Educational Leadership Certification Program
College of Education, Temple University
Ritter Annex 283
1301 W. Cecil B. Moore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19122