Dissertation & Thesis Handbook
The Handbook – Deadlines
Apply for Graduation
- Access Self-Service Banner through TUportal.
- Students in the College of Education must also visit EdPortal.
Announce Dissertation Defense
- Distribute an executed Announcement of Oral Defense to the Graduate School in 501 Carnell Hall and the dean's office of your school/college.
- Provide all graduate faculty in your program with a flyer.
- Post a flyer on public bulletin boards in and near your department.
- Note that the Graduate School will announce the defense on its Upcoming Doctoral Defenses web page.
- No later than 10 working days prior to the scheduled defense.
- No later than 14 working days if an external examiner's curriculum vitae (CV) – accompanied by an executed Nomination for Service on Doctoral Committee form – must be reviewed by the Graduate School.
Submit PDF of Approved Final Version of Dissertation/Thesis
- Upload to Temple University's ETD Administrator site at http://www.etdadmin.com/temple/.
- Return the original final signature page of the dissertation/thesis to Christa Viola, Coordinator of Graduate Student Services, in the Graduate School, 501 Carnell Hall.
- Access, sign, and submit the Permission to Reproduce Dissertation/Thesis form – which is required of all doctoral and master's students who must produce a dissertation or thesis as a culminating experience – to grant Temple University license to reproduce the dissertation/thesis.
- For doctoral students only, forward your CV/résumé to Christa Viola via email at email@example.com.
- Complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates online, as delineated in Appendix B, if earning a doctoral degree.
- Within 30 days post-defense OR by the due date specified below – whichever comes FIRST:
|January 2014||December 4, 2013|
|May 2014||May 5, 2014|
|August 2014||August 4, 2014|
* For the Fall and Spring semesters, the last day of class consistently will be the deadline for submission. For Summer, the deadline will be the "Last day to withdraw from a course" in the second Summer session, as listed in the University's Academic Calendar. These deadlines are firm. If you cannot meet the deadline for a particular graduation cycle, contact your school/college about applying for the following cycle. Note that graduating is not automatic – you must apply; it is the same with deferring graduation – you must notify your school/college and comply with its procedures.