Dissertation & Thesis Handbook
The Handbook – Deadlines
Apply for Graduation
- Access Self-Service Banner through TUportal.
- Students in the College of Education must also visit EdPortal.
Announce Dissertation Defense
- Distribute an executed Announcement of Oral Defense to the Graduate School in 501 Carnell Hall and the dean's office of your school/college.
- Provide all graduate faculty in your program with a flyer.
- Post a flyer on public bulletin boards in and near your department.
- Note that the Graduate School will announce the defense on its Upcoming Doctoral Defenses web page.
- No later than 10 working days prior to the scheduled defense.
- No later than 14 working days if an external examiner's curriculum vitae (CV) – accompanied by an executed Nomination for Service on Doctoral Committee form – must be reviewed by the Graduate School.
Submit PDF of Approved Final Version of Dissertation/Thesis
- Upload to Temple University's ETD Administrator site at http://www.etdadmin.com/temple/.
- Return the original final signature page of the dissertation/thesis to Christa Viola, Coordinator of Graduate Student Services, in the Graduate School, 501 Carnell Hall.
- Access, sign, and submit the Permission to Reproduce Dissertation/Thesis form – which is required of all doctoral and master's students who must produce a dissertation or thesis as a culminating experience – to grant Temple University license to reproduce the dissertation/thesis.
- For doctoral students only, submit your CV/résumé at http://www.etdadmin.com/temple/.
- Complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates online, as delineated in Appendix B, if earning a doctoral degree.
- Within 30 days post-defense OR by the due date specified below – whichever comes FIRST:
|December 2015||December 18||November 30, 2015|
|May 2016||May 6||April 18, 2016|
|July 2016||July 29||July 11, 2016|
* Deadlines are firm. If you cannot meet the deadline for a particular graduation cycle, contact your school/college about applying for the following cycle. Note that graduating is not automatic – you must apply; it is the same with deferring graduation – you must notify your school/college and comply with its procedures.