Cyberspace and Society
Need help or additional information? This web page is here to help. Detailed information can be read below and you can use the direct links found on the right in the "resource links" section.
Temple University Computer Services
Having trouble with your e-mail account, computer, blackboard, or more? Use the following links to get the help you need fast.
- Set up your Temple University e-mail account
- View Temple's current network system status
- Computer virus help
- Help desk information (hours, services, etc)
- General computer services student information
50 GB of Free OWLbox storage space. Students can store, share and collaborate on projects, edit and sync files in owlbox.temple.edu. A link to OWLbox is available on TUportal.
Blackboard Mobile Learn App
The Blackboard Mobile Learn App is to be discontinued and no longer supported after December 31. As a replacement, Blackboard recommends using the next gen mobile App, BbStudent. The app is available thru the App Store and Google Play. Any questions, contact the Help Desk thru the Request Help/Service tab on the cs.temple.edu home page. You can also call 215.204.8000
Office 2016 Purchase
Microsoft Office 2016 for both the PC and Mac is available free for matriculated Temple Students. Students log into TUportal, click on the MY Portal tab, and, under TUapplications, click on Microsoft Download. Additonal information can be found at: https://computerservices.temple.edu/office-365
Tips for Excel
Basic Excel tips and tricks PLUS powerful functions such as VLookup
Photo Resource Site
Looking for free images for your blog or website? This site provides links to photo sites with images that are either public domain or listed under Creative Commons or Creative Commons Attribution (requires a link back to the photographer). The photo sites are rated from Near Perfect to Last Resort (but better than clip art)
Scratch Programming Language
Scratch is a free graphical programming language developed at the MIT, Media Lab, to make programming easier to learn (scratch.mit.edu). Scratch uses programming blocks to animate a graphical image called a sprite. Groupings of blocks that you build are called scripts. To get started click on the link below, and set up an account by selecting Join Scratch. All scripts you create will be stored on this site.
Windows Movie Maker Live
Having trouble creating your movie? You can watch this training video for help on editing your movie project. Keep in mind you are not required to use Windows Movie Maker for your movie project, but it is a relative straight forward program to use.
Library Article Search Tool
Finding articles for class discussions and debates is a critical part of Cyberspace and Society. Temple library has set up a web page to make it easier for you to find that perfect article. Visit the site linked below and click on the "Academic Search Premier" link found in the left hand column. Note: if off campus, you will need to log in before you can search.
Need help setting up your group wiki? All the information you need can be found by visiting this wiki help page.
If you are looking for an alternative to Internet Explorer at home, there are a number of options:
1. Mozilla Firefox - Firefox is an extremely capable browser with above average security. For fun, you can use different themes to change the look of your browser and add extensions to increase the usefulness of the browser. Try it out!
2. Chrome - Chrome is a very popular, free browser from Google.
3. Opera - Another option to Internet Explorer.
Dreamweaver - 7 Day Trial Version
1. Adobe Dreamweaver Creative Cloud - Visit Adobe's website to download the 7 day trial version of the software. The version you will download is Dreamweaver CC (Creative Cloud). You will be able to do everything you need to do for lab using the Creative Cloud version at home although there are differences in the version we use at Temple Labs and at the Tech Center. Wait until your website is almost due before you install the software on your home computer. That way you will be able to make a few changes from home. When you go to the Adobe site, you will be required to sign up for a free Adobe account.
Java Scripts and Beyond
Adding little things to your site can add excitement and make your site more user friendly. Here are a couple of sites to help you
http://www.wsabstract.com/javatutors/muliplejava.html - advanced (when you want more than one java script per page
Check your website optimization status:
Add a counter to a web page:
http://freelogs.com (best bet - but free counter has small text link advertisement)
Google Docs is a web based office suite and data storage service. Our lab's goal is to provide experience with the Google Docs Office suite, specifically to create a survey that can be used to gather data from users. Cyberspace Google Docs Lab
During the semester you will create a blog using Temple University's blackboard web site.
Temple University "blogging" - includes information on how to blog using blackboard.
Blogger.com blogging - includes information on how to blog using Blogger.com. You can continue your blogging experience outside of Cyberspace and Society by using this free online tool.