Educational Discounts for
Computer Equipment and Software
The following vendors offer educational discounts on new computers and software for Temple students, faculty, and staff:
- Apple (Hardware/Software)
Note: Temple does not recommend purchasing an Apple iPad as a primary computer. The iPad, for example, does not have USB ports or Ethernet capability, and does not support Adobe Flash, which is a technology used on many web sites. While the iPad is an innovative device and has many uses, including convenient web browsing, at this stage it is not a replacement for a PC or Mac.
- Dell (Hardware)
Go to the Dell Temple University (Personal Purchases) website.
- HP (Hardware)
Go to the Temple University HP Academy website.
- Lenovo (Hardware)
Go to the Lenovo Personal Purchases website.
- SOMA (Hardware)
Go to the SOMA2U website.
As a Temple Faculty Member, Staff Member or Student, you are eligible to:
- purchase Symantec Endpoint Protection software for your personal desktop/laptop computer for a one-time charge of $8 per computer,
- obtain JMP statistical software (Windows or Mac version) at no cost through Temple's site-license program,
- obtain MATLAB technical computing and model-based design software at no cost through Temple's site-license program. Temple University has a license for MATLAB, Simulink and 48 other Toolboxes which are all products of Mathworks.
- purchase SPSS software at an educational discount by using the following link: http://www.onthehub.com/spss/.
- register for Microsoft's Dreamspark Standard Subscription Program (Students and Faculty Only - please view the usage guidelines prior to registering).
- enroll in our Wolfram|Alpha subscription, which is an engine for computing answers and providing knowledge by using its vast store of expert-level knowledge and algorithms to automatically answer questions, do analysis, and generate reports. More information can be found at: http://www.wolframalpha.com/tour/what-is-wolframalpha.html.
- purchase several software titles through thinkEDU (Software/Hardware). When purchasing from thinkEDU, you will be asked to provide verification of your status at Temple University.
*Microsoft Office and Windows Upgrade software is available to students at no charge. Download the software by logging in to TUportal and clicking on "Microsoft Download," which is listed as one of the available TUapplications.
In addition to the above, students, faculty, and staff can also obtain educational prices for software and hardware through a number of vendor web sites, including the following:
- Software House International
(please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the token and access key)
Note that these vendors may require proof of enrollment at the time of purchase. See each site’s requirements for more details.
On a budget? Check out the Computer Recycle Center! The CRC has used CPUs with Intel®Core2Duo processors and 3GB memory as well as Flat Panel Monitors for sale. Go to the Computer Recycling Center web site for more information (Note: the CRC website requires an AccessNet username and password).
Updated September 11, 2013
Temple University Computer and Information Services.
All Rights Reserved. For web related questions, please send e-mail to email@example.com.