Clearing the Browser Cache
The cache (pronounced "cash") is a holding area on your computer where web browsers store copies of web pages that you have viewed. Since this includes web page elements, such as images and media, the browser can load pages faster when you return to a site.
In addition to storing information in the cache, browsers also save cookies, history, and download history. A cookie is data that a web site stores on your computer to remember information, such as shopping preferences, accumulated from web pages you have visited. History includes a list of web addresses you have visited and download history includes the files you have downloaded such as Word and PDF files.
Over time, the cache can become large and slow down browser performance. To resolve this issue, you can clear the browser cache by following the instructions below.
Note: If you are clearing the cache to enable logging in to more than one Google account at the same time, you must log out of TUmail before starting this process.
Instructions for clearing the cache are available for the following browsers:
1. Click Tools > Internet options.
2. Under the General tab, go to "Browsing history" and click Delete.
3. Next, click to select the items you want to delete, such as Temporary Internet files, Cookies, History, and Download History, and then click Delete.
4. Internet Explorer 7 only: Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
5. Finally, click OK to close the window.
1. Select Tools > Clear Recent History.
2. Click the drop-down menu "Next to Time range to clear" and select Everything.
3. Click the down arrow next to "Details" to choose the information to clear, such as Browsing & Download History, Cookies, and Cache.
4. Then, click Clear Now.
1. From the Safari menu, select Empty Cache.
2. When prompted, click Empty to confirm that you want to empty the cache.
1. Go to the browser bar and enter: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
2. To clear the entire cache, go to the drop-down menu and select the beginning of time.
3. Select the following items to clear:
- Clear browsing history
- Clear download history
- Empty the cache
- Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data
4. Click Clear browsing data.
© Copyright 2012 Temple University Computer and Information Services.
All Rights Reserved. For web related questions, please send e-mail to email@example.com.