All eligible members of the Temple community, including current employees, students, and registered alumni, receive an @temple.edu e-mail account upon joining the university.
- All currently registered Temple students
- All incoming students who have been accepted and paid a deposit
- All current Temple employees
- Temple alumni
- Professor Emeriti
- Temple retirees
- Authorized guests of the university who fulfill all of the following conditions:
- not currently employed by the university
- work in some capacity for the university
- require electronic resources to conduct official university business
- E-mail accounts are closed automatically when:
- a student fails to register for a semester
- an employee is terminated
- guest access date has expired
- A user with more than one status, such as employee and student, will keep their e-mail account as long as they continue with the university under at least one status.
- Maximum storage quotas:
- TU Gmail–25 GB
- Microsoft Exchange–10 GB
- Maximum attachment size:
- 30 MB
- Comprehensive Guide to E-mail Usage and Policy
- University-wide Electronic Communication Guidelines
- Student Electronic Information Policy (E-mail)
- Technology Usage Policy
- Computer Resource Access and Revocation Guidelines
- Reporting and Handling Security and Privacy Incidents
- Granting Systems Access and Guest Cards to Guests
How do I access my e-mail?
To check your e-mail using a supported e-mail client on a PC or a mobile device:
- For TU Gmail, refer to the TU Gmail site.
- For Exchange, contact the Help Desk at 215-204-8000 or through TUhelp.
- AccessNet username and password
- personal computer, smart phone, or other device with a browser or dedicated e-mail application
- Internet access
- Supported e-mail clients for TU Gmail and Exchange
E-mail is available 24 hours a day throughout the year except during periods of system, network, or electrical maintenance. Note that requests for e-mail support are fulfilled during Help Desk business hours.
This service is provided at no charge.
Note: Upon eligibility, you must go to the Account Management website to activate your account.
If you are a new student, you will automatically receive a TU Gmail account after you pay your tuition deposit or Graduate Matriculation Fee.
Instructions for activating your account at https://accounts.temple.edu are e-mailed to the e-mail address you indicated on your application to Temple. Note that you will need your nine-digit TUid to complete the process.
After you have met with an advisor and registered for classes, your AccessNet account information and instructions for activating the account will be mailed to your home. If you did not receive this information, visit the Help Desk or other CS location for assistance.
Temple University offers two types of e-mail accounts for employees: TU Gmail and Microsoft Exchange. The type of e-mail is based on departmental preference, however, both types of accounts receive an @temple.edu e-mail address.
As an employee, you are eligible for e-mail one business day after you have been entered into the HR payroll system. By default, you will receive a TU Gmail account when your AccessNet account is created. If your hiring manager determines that you need a Microsoft Exchange account, he/she must submit a request to TUhelp that includes your AccessNet username. Computer Services will then create the Exchange account.
Note: Before submitting a request for a Microsoft Exchange account, the hiring manager must verify that you have activated your AccessNet account on the Account Management website.
Authorized guests of the university with a legitimate business need are eligible for a Temple e-mail account. To request an account, a sponsor must log in to TUportal, click Guest Access Request System, and submit a request. An account will be created within 48 hours.
As a Temple alumnus/a, you are eligible for a free AccessNet account through the Temple University Alumni Association, which includes a free @temple.edu email account. To learn more and create an account, refer to the TUmail for Alumni website.
- manage high volume e-mail demands that a single person may not be able to handle
- send e-mail from a department that is not associated with a particular person
Because of security concerns regarding the use of these accounts, a department needs to provide a business justification for such an account and the request is subject to approval by the Chief Information Security Officer.
To submit a request, go to TUhelp. In your request, please include answers to the following questions:
- What is the business or organizational need for the account?
- Who will assume ownership/responsibility of the account (full name and e-mail address)?
- Who will have access to the account (full names and e-mail addresses)?
- Will the e-mail address be used to both send and receive e-mail?
- What e-mail address is requested?
For example, XXXXXX@temple.edu where XXXXXX can be four to eight characters with no spaces or punctuation; this wmaill also serve as the account login name.
- Are any additional e-mail addresses required for this account?
Additional addresses are known as e-mail aliases, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is this account for a student organization recognized by Student Activities?
Note: When this information is received, the request will be submitted for review and approval by the Chief Information Security Officer. This process takes between three and five business days.
How do I get help using or requesting this service?