Request an Internet Connection
The Office of Telecommunications is responsible for:
- installing and maintaining networks for all domestic Temple University and Temple University Health System (TUHS) locations
- providing Internet access to the Temple community using Ethernet technology
Internet service is typically delivered via a wired Ethernet jack at varying speeds:
- 10 Mbps
- 100 Mbps to 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps)
Note: 10 Mbps is the slowest speed and is sufficient for most needs; 1000 Mbps is the fastest speed.
Who is entitled to this service?
- All authorized employees and guests of Temple University and TUHS located in properties owned or leased by Temple University and TUHS
What are the limitations and restrictions related to this service?
The service is only available in Temple buildings or leased spaces that are connected to the Temple network.
What are the applicable policies or guidelines?
- Human Resources Employee Manual
- University Policies
- Computer Services Policies
- Temple University Rules of Conduct
How do I use this service?
If the Office of Telecommunications installs your Ethernet jack or if you plan to use an existing Ethernet jack, your computer must meet the following requirements to access the Internet:
- be registered with Computer Services
- have the required antivirus software installed
- have the latest operating system patches installed
If your computer meets these requirements, connect your computer to the Ethernet jack with an Ethernet cable.
If you have a new computer, refer to Get Help Setting up a New Office Computer(s).
What are the requirements for using this service?
Requests for new service or modifications to existing service require the following:
- approval from the requester's budget unit head or business manager
- FOAPAL or Cost Center number
- building and room number for the service
What is the time frame for fulfillment of service?
For new Ethernet jack installations, please plan on a period of 15 business days for your order to be completed. For an additional charge and depending on the availability of resources, each order item can be expedited based on two levels of service:
- 1-3 business days
- 4-7 business days
When is this service available for use?
Network service is available 24 hours a day throughout the year, except during periods of system, network, or electrical maintenance.
Requests for setup and repair are fulfilled during normal business hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What is the cost of this service?
Information about service, installation costs, and per item expedited charge is available on the Billing & Costs page.
How do I request this service?
Temple University Employees
- Log in to TUhelp and select Request Service > Telecommunications > Internet Connection. Then, complete the form and click Submit.
Temple University Health System Employees
- Complete and submit the Service Order Request Form through any of the following:
- Inter-Office Mail
Office of Telecommunications
The Tech Center
3rd floor (286-05)
How do I get help using or requesting this service?
If you need help requesting this service, contact the Office of Telecommunications at 4-HELP (4-4358) or 215-204-7722 during normal business hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you are experiencing problems with an existing Ethernet service:
- Temple University Employees
Contact the Help Desk at TUhelp or 215-204-8000 (1-8000).
- Temple University Health System Employees
Call 215-707-7008 (2-7008).