The Help Desk provides basic troubleshooting for personal computers on a walk-in basis to:
- currently registered students with their personally owned computers
Note: This service offers students the opportunity to learn how to repair and maintain their computers.
- employees with their personally owned computers that are used for Temple University business
If the reported problem with the personal computer cannot be resolved after basic troubleshooting of the computer, the client will be offered a more compressive session at our Help Desk Clinic (HD Clinic). The HD Clinic offers the following services:
- virus/malware removal
- system rebuild/restore
- software installation
- data backup
- file/data recovery
- PC/Mac network setup and configuration
- Mac Boot Camp setup
This service is provided at the Help Desk located in the TECH Center. Note that all technical student worker consultants are supervised by a full time staff member.
- Currently registered Temple University students with a personally owned computer
- Temple University employees with a personally owned computer that is used for Temple University business
- All HD Clinic sessions require an appointment.
- The HD Clinic staff member will spend a maximum of three hours troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving an issue.
- Clients are allowed a maximum of three HD Clinics per semester.
- Services not provided
- hardware repair/installation/recovery/disassembly/reassembly
- printer repair/installation/setup
- loaning tools
- storing equipment
A employee or currently registered student makes an appointment and then brings their computer to the Help Desk. Note the following:
- Students work with a Help Desk technical student worker consultant to troubleshoot any issues.
- Employees may drop off their computer at their scheduled appointment time.
- Have an initial consultation and scheduled appointment.
- Back up all data before scheduled appointment.
- Bring the computer to the Help Desk at the TECH Center.
- Arrive at the start of the scheduled appointment time.
- Sign the repair-release legal waiver.
- Employees may leave after checking in and completing all forms.
- Students must be present for the duration of the scheduled appointment.
- System requirements
--major manufacturers: Acer, Dell, e-Machine, Gateway, HP, IBM, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba
--operating system: Windows XP or higher
--system speed: 1 GHz or higher
--RAM: 1 GB or higher
--home-built systems: not permitted
--Mac OS X v10.5 or higher
--Boot Camp setup: Intel Mac with OS X v10.5 or higher
If applicable, bring the following items to the appointment:
- all system CDs/DVDs that came with your computer
- power adapters and cords for laptops
Note: If you have a desktop computer, please do not bring your monitor or keyboard, unless requested by the Help Desk.
The maximum time allotted for an HD Clinic session is three hours. Depending on demand, HD Clinic appointments are available up to two weeks in advance on a first-come first-served basis.
The service is available during scheduled times on a first-come first-served basis. Based on hours of operation and availability of support staff, HD Clinic sessions are generally offered at the following times:
- Monday through Friday: 9:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday: 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 12:30 p.m.
This service is provided at no charge.
Call the Help Desk at 215-204-8000 (1-8000) or submit a request via TUhelp. After an inital consultation, a Help Desk consultant may schedule a HD Clinic appointment.
- Location: Help Desk, Main Campus
- Website: TUhelp
- Phone: 215-204-8000 (1-8000)