Request Four Winds Interactive Digital Signage System
The digital signage system uses advanced content management software to enable departments to manage their flat-screen signage, which is usually located in lobbies and student service areas.
Temple uses a digital signage system called Four Winds Interactive (FWI) to control the displays. With this system, data is stored centrally, however, each department can manage their own content. At this time, using FWI is not required, but it is strongly recommended for departments using digital signage to enable departments to share slides, templates, and other information.
Each screen can display multiple content elements including PowerPoint slides, video, scrolling tickers, and "widgets," such as weather or time. In addition, elements such as event slides can be scheduled to display at specific dates and times. FWI also offers the option to share slides and other data among departments.
Who is entitled to this service?
All Temple University departments may participate in the digital signage program.
What are the limitations and restrictions related to this service?
Participating departments are responsible for funding and installing their own hardware, such as screens, network connections, and digital signage players (Microsoft Windows PCs connected to displays).
What are the applicable policies or guidelines?
Note: Policies may be subject to change.
- Content managers are departmental staff who manage the content. To access the Four Winds Content Manager software, content managers need to be in the TU Active Directory domain and use computers on the staff network.
- Content Manager software is for Microsoft Windows only.
- Digital signage players must be connected to the staff network in order to receive the content.
- Departments are responsible for posting and managing their own content. If a group requests to share content with participating departments, Computer Services will post the slide(s) in the Shared Content folder and notify all signage participants by e-mail.
How do I use this service?
To use this service, you need to do the following:
- Log in to TUhelp to request a consultation with Computer Services about required screens, connections, and PC hardware.
- Obtain and install all necessary hardware.
- Submit a request.
- Install Content Player and Content Manager software.
- Create digital signage content (slides and layout).
Note: Standardized Temple templates are available in the Content Manager shared folder.
- Go live and maintain digital signage system.
Departments must provide:
- Digital signage hardware as determined in consultation with Computer Services. This hardware includes digital signage players, screens, and network/video/power connections.
Note: Each PC contains player software that delivers content to screens displaying the same image.
- Content Manager software installed on the office computer of each person who maintains content in a department.
- All network connections for digital signage players and those managing content must be on the staff subnet and attached to the Active Directory, TU Domain.
Note: FWI cannot be accessed through the student subnet.
- Microsoft Office
- Digital signage players with the following specifications:
Minimum Recommended Processor any Pentium class
(P4 and up)
Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or higher Memory 2.0GB 4.0GB or more Hard Drive 64GB @ 5400rpm or SSD 80GB or larger @ 7200 rpm
or 64GB or larger SSD
Graphics without HD any Integrated Graphics
ATI 2400 XT or better
80GB or larger @ 7200 rpm
or 64GB or larger SSD
Graphics with HD ATI HD 3850/3870 ATI HD 4850/4870 or better or Nvidia GTX280 or better Operating Systems Windows 7 (32 & 64bit) Windows 7 64-bit
What is the time frame for fulfillment of service?
When a department meets all the hardware/software requirements and submits the required information, links to download the Content Manager and Content Player software will be sent within two business days. When the software is installed, the department is responsible for uploading and maintaining content.
When is this service available for use?
FWI is available for digital signs 24x7, with technical support provided during regular business hours.
What is the cost of this service?
Computer Services funds the central infrastructure and software that runs FWI. Participating departments are required to pay:
- The cost of purchasing, installing, and maintaining the signage hardware. The hardware
includes screens, associated network/cable connections, and PCs that provide content.
- Annual maintenance fee of $230 per screen.
The Budget Unit Head of the department must send an e-mail to the Computer Services Business Office at email@example.com and include the following information:
- Department name
- Number of screens to be used on the system
- Total cost ($230 per screen)
Note: This information must be provided before a department can be authorized to download and install the software.
The department is notified when access is available to a network folder which includes Content Manager installer, Content Player installer, and the following:
- Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Shockwave Flash player
- Apple QuickTime
- Microsoft PIARedist
- KLite Codec Pack
How do I get help using or requesting this service?
For additional help, log in to TUhelp and submit a request.