Obtain an AccessNet Account
An AccessNet account enables you to log in to Temple University's online resources and services, such as TUportal, TUmail, and Blackboard. The resources you can access depend on your role within the university.
Who is entitled to this service?
Anyone who is affiliated with the university in one of the roles defined in the University System Access Roles Definitions, is entitled to obtain and keep an AccessNet account.
What are the limitations and restrictions related to this service?
The particular resources available to you depend on your role with the university. For example, employees have access to different set of resources from students. For more detailed information, see System Access by University Enterprise Role.
For security purposes, Temple requires you to change your password every six months. Ten days prior to your password expiration date, you will receive an e-mail reminder. You will receive another reminder, one day prior to your password expiration date. To change your password, log in to the Account Management web site.
If your password has already expired, log in to the Account Management and reset it, so you can continue to access Temple's online resources.
What are the applicable policies or guidelines?
All applicable policies and guidelines on the Computer Services policy web site regarding AccessNet account usage.
When applying for admission to the university, the best way to begin is by requesting an account invitation as follows:
- Undergraduate–Go to http://admissions.temple.edu, click the red Join Our Mailing List box on the lower right portion of the page, select the U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents or Foreign Nationals and Non-U.S. Citizens, select a category, and complete the form. You will receive an email with instructions on how to proceed within 24 hours.
- Graduate–Go to http://www.temple.edu/grad/admissions/prospect-form.html and click the appropriate school, and complete the form.
In either case, an e-mail invitation will be sent to you to join TUportal. At first, your access will be limited only to the applicant resources. Once the university has admitted you and has received and processed your tuition deposit, your university role will change to student. This will enable you to access all of Temple's student resources, such as TU Gmail and Blackboard.
Upon your role changing to student, you will receive an email with instructions to activate your account and establish a permanent password and security questions. To do this, go to the Account Management website and click I am a new student, new employee or new authorized guest and would like to activate my AccessNet account.
Note: If you are a Non-Degree Seeking Student (did not go through the formal admissions process), once you become a student, an account will be created for you. You will then follow the instructions for Student above.
Your AccessNet account remains available to you as long as you retain your Student Status as defined by the University.
Once you graduate, you can renew your AccessNet account on an annual basis. This will enable you to continue using your Temple e-mail address. If you never had a Temple e-mail address, you can obtain an annually renewable AccessNet account as well. For more information, refer to Obtain an E-Mail Account.
Within 24 hours after your paperwork is processed by Human Resources, you will be issued an AccessNet account. To activate the account, go to the Account Management website and click I am a new student, new employee or new authorized guest and would like to activate my AccessNet account.
Employees who officially retire from the university, will automatically retain their AccessNet account after retirement. The account will be limited to e-mail access only.
Faculty who have the official university designation as Professor Emeritus/Emerita, will automatically retain their AccessNet account after retirement. For information about emeritus status, please see the Temple University Faculty Handbook.
In accordance with the Granting Systems Access and Guest Cards to Guests guidelines, a "Guest" is defined as an individual who is not a current Temple University employee, faculty member, or student. Guests can include, but are not limited to employees of Temple University Health System, visiting faculty, visiting scholars, contractors, vendors, volunteers, volunteer faculty who are not considered "faculty of record," temporary agency employees, and summer program participants.
Any Temple University employee can request that a guest be granted access to Temple resources in order to conduct official university business. To make this request, the employee (or sponsor) logs in to TUportal and clicks Guest Access Request System under TUApplications on the left.
All requests are subject to approval by a Temple administrator with Level 1 or Level 2 signature authority. When the request is approved or denied, an e-mail notification is sent to both the sponsor and guest.
To activate the account, the guest will go to the Account Management website and click I am a new student, new employee or new authorized guest and would like to activate my AccessNet account.
What is the time frame for fulfillment of service?
- Applicant: After you fill out the application process, as described under "How do I request this service," an e-mail invitation to join TUportal will be sent to you within 24-hours.
- Student: Within 24 hours of becoming a student, you will no longer be able to log on until you activate the account and establish a permanent password and security questions. To do this, visit the Account Management web site.
- Employee: When you have been hired as an employee by Human Resources, you will be issued an AccessNet account. To activate it and establish a permanent password and security questions, visit the Account Management web site.
- Guest: Within 48 hours of submission and approval of guest access, an account will be generated for the university guest. To activate it and establish a permanent password and security questions, the guest must visit the Account Management web site.
What is the cost of this service?
There is no cost associated with this service.
How do I obtain help with requesting this service?
In most cases, AccessNet accounts are created automatically, as described above, under How do I use this service?.
If you did not receive your account information, contact the Computer Services Help Desk at 215-204-8000 (1-8000).