Tyler Home   Index   About Us   Gallery  


M/J/C-C Home    Net Resources   Academic Metals Directory  Contact Page   Site Credits


The University of the Arts

Crafts Dept. / 320 S.Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Metals program started in 1903


FACULTY

Karl G. Nacke      1903 to 1912
Samuel Yellin      1907 to 1920
Douglas Gilchrist      1921 to 1943
Virginia Wireman Cute      1944 to 1953
Richard Reinhardt      1947 to 1986
Olaf Skoogfors      1959 to 1975
Leon Lugassy      1967 to 1990
Helen Williams Drutt English      1972 to 1982
Robin Quigley      1976 to 1979
Sharon Church      1979 to present
Rod McCormick      1981 to present
Myra Mimlitsch Gray      1986 to 1990



DEGREES

The University of the Arts

Name changes and mergers:

Philadelphia College of Art and Design (PCAD)

1876   The Pennsylvania Museum & School of Industrial Art (PMSIA) is founded, partly in response to the Centennial International Exhibition held in Philadelphia.  The school is sometimes called the School of Applied Art, and the Museum eventually becomes the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The school and the museum
are founded as one institution.
1883   Philadelphia Textile School is added to PMSIA. The Philadelphia Association of Textile Manufacturers, which had been formed in 1882, founded the Textile School.
1939   Philadelphia Museum School of Industrial Art
1949   Philadelphia Museum School of Art
The Art School changes its name in May 1949 from Philadelphia Museum School of Industrial Art to Philadelphia Museum School of Art. The Textile
School moves to a new Germantown campus for the fall 1949 semester, and on December 1 officially breaks off from the Museum to become the
Philadelphia Textile Institute, today’s Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science.
1959   Philadelphia Museum College of Art
The School becomes an accredited college.
1964   Philadelphia College of Art (PCA)
1985   PCA merges with the Philadelphia College of Performing Arts to become Philadelphia Colleges of the Arts.
1987  Philadelphia Colleges of the Arts is granted university status and becomes The University of the Arts.

Philadelphia College of Performing Arts (PCPA)

1870   Philadelphia Musical Academy (PMA) founded by John Himmelsbach.
1877   Philadelphia Conservatory of Music (PCM) is founded.
1944   Nadia Chilkovsky founds the Philadelphia Dance Academy (PDA).
1954   Dr. Jani Szanto, director of the PMA, invites Chilkovsky to develop an undergraduate dance department for PMA.
1962   PMA and PCM join and continue under name of PMA.
1976   PMA becomes Philadelphia College of Performing Arts (PCPA).
1977   PDA, after long working relationship with PMA, joins PCPA and becomes the School of Dance.
1985   PCPA merges with Philadelphia College of Art to become Philadelphia Colleges of the Arts.
1987   Philadelphia Colleges of the Arts is granted university status and becomes The University of the Arts.

Historical Information on The University of the Arts has been provided by The University of the Arts, University Libraries, and by the UArts Crafts Department.


To the best of my knowledge, these are the current degrees being offered by this institution. If additional information or a correction is required, please send the updated information, on official University letterhead to:

Stanley Lechtzin
Tyler School of Art
Temple University
Beech & Penrose Aves.
Elkins Park, PA 19027