How to Apply
The Department of English houses a PhD program in English studies, which admits applicants both with and without previously earned master's degrees, and a MA program in literature. It also offers an MFA in Creative Writing.
Applicants to the English PhD and English MA programs should follow the instructions below. Applicants to the Creative Writing MFA program should go the Creative Writing website by clicking here and follow those applications instructions.
For questions about any of the English graduate programs, please call (215) 204-1796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for all completed applications is December 15; applications are accepted only for Fall admission.
Admission to the Literature Program
To be accepted into the MA or PhD programs, a student should have the equivalent of an undergraduate concentration in English with broad chronological coverage. Applicants are required to declare their terminal degree at the time of application, although PhD students can choose to stop at the Master's degree.
Admission to the Creative Writing Program
Information on how to apply to the Creative Writing program can be found here.
Requirements and Procedures for Application
Applicants for admission to the graduate programs in English must submit the following documents to the English department to be considered for admission:
- Temple University Graduate School application: You can begin the Graduate School online application process here or follow this link to go directly to the Banner application system.
- Test Scores: Your GRE scores (and TOEFL scores if required) should be sent to Temple University electronically by ETS.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for the general test (scores good for 5 years).
- Literature program applicants (MA and PhD): scores for the GRE Literature in English subject test (scores good for 5 years).
- Foreign applicants: TOEFL scores (minimum score 620).
- Transcripts: Two copies of all your transcripts must be submitted, one official copy by mail, and one unofficial copy electronically.
- Request that official transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended (including Temple, as well as institutions from which you did not receive a degree) be mailed to the Temple University Department of English at the mailing address below.
- We ask that you also scan and upload copies of all your transcripts to your Interfolio account and submit them electronically with the other application materials (see below). These can be unofficial or student copies of transcripts.
The following required materials should be submitted electronically through the Interfolio online dossier service. For instructions on how to create an Interfolio account and submit all the additional application materials as one package, see below.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from persons in a position to evaluate applicant’s past work, as well as their ability to do graduate work in literary criticism or creative writing. Request signed, confidential letters of recommendation from your evaluators through your Interfolio account. After your letters have been uploaded to your Interfolio account, you will be able to send them electronically to us without seeing their contents. Your evaluators do not need to also send paper copies of their letters by mail.
- Personal Statement: Please send through Interfolio a copy of the Personal Statement from your on-line application. The Personal Statement should discuss your research interests and your interest in the English graduate program at Temple University, your career goals, and your academic and research achievements, if applicable.
- Writing Sample: A sample essay in literary criticism or rhetorical analysis for literature applicants and a portfolio of poetry or fiction for creative writing applicants
- Resumé or CV.
A personal interview may be requested. A student with some deficiencies in these respects may apply for admission. Such a student may be admitted to a degree program with the provision that one or more courses be taken in addition to the normal requirements.
Please use Interfolio’s Dossier Service to collect and submit application materials.
- Create or log in to your Interfolio Dossier account at (http://www.interfolio.com/services/dossier/).
- Request signed, confidential letters of recommendation from your evaluators through your Interfolio account.
- Upload all supporting application documents to your Interfolio account (copy of all transcripts, statement of goals, writing sample, and resumé).
- Send all required documents as one delivery to Temple University Department of English:
- Search for the Temple University-Department of English by entering “Temple English” in Step 1 of the “Add Delivery” process.
- Select program to which you are applying from one of the three options:
"English MA Temple University"
" English PhD Program-Temple University"
"Creative Writing MFA Program-Temple University"
Do NOT select the option to "Email your documents to Temple English" that is further down the page--you should instead proceed with electonic delivery by chooseing one of the three program options above
3. Select and order all the required documents.
4. Check out and complete the electronic delivery.
Applications through Interfolio are strongly preferred. However, we will continue to accept by regular mail supporting materials for those applying to enter the program in Fall 2014 only. Applications for subsequent years must be submitted through Interfolio. There is a small fee required by Interfolio.
Mailing Address for the Department of English Graduate Programs:
Department of English (022-29)
[Program name to which you are applying]
Anderson Hall, 10th Floor
1114 Polett Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6090
Applicants to the graduate programs are not invited to reapply for admission once they have been rejected.
Students who have earned graduate credits or a Master's degree at another institution can transfer a maximum of 15 credits toward the course work requirement for the PhD.