Institutions of public higher education have felt economic strains in recent years, and Temple University is no exception. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania was once a major underwriter of public higher education, but significant financial pressures in the state have resulted in declining support. As a result, over the last three years Temple University has made budget reductions totaling $113 million. The decline in public dollars has put increasing pressure on tuition. At the same time, our Board has resolved to make affordable access to excellence Temple's highest priority.
We have been preparing for this moment. One of the fundamental ways to align resources with mission-critical priorities is our transition to a decentralized budget model ("DBM") [PDF].
This website will support our ongoing effort to keep you updated on Temple's progress as well as maintain a common thread of communication for everything from the 'fundamentals of DBM' to the dialogue among faculty.
* * *
In the fall of 2012, Acting President Richard M. Englert appointed a steering committee to begin the work of understanding the budget model, benchmarking the model's effectiveness against other large public universities, and discerning the pace of implementation. This effort is co-chaired by Temple's Provost, Hai-Lung Dai and interim Chief Financial Officer, Ken Kaiser and supported by the following key leaders:
- Terry Halbert, Professor of Legal Studies, Fox School of Business
- Douglas Wager, Professor and Chair, Department of Theater
- Mark Rahdert, Professor, Beasley School of Law and President, Faculty Senate
- Amid Ismail, Dean, Kornberg School of Dentistry
- Moshe Porat, Dean, Fox School of Business and Management & School of Tourism & Hospitality Mgt
- Teresa Soufas, Dean, College of Liberal Arts & School of Environmental Design
- Michael Sitler, Deputy Provost
- Katie D'Angelo, Assistant Vice President for Administration & Planning
- Sean DeBoer, Senior Budget Analyst
- Jaison Kurichi, Assistant Vice President for Budget
- Vicki Lewis McGarvey, Vice Provost for University College
- Timothy O’Rourke, Vice President for Computer and Financial Services & CIO
- Bill Wilkinson, Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration, Provost Office
If your department would be interested in hosting a discussion about the budget model please contact our office: (215) 204-6545 or email Amy Kusen to schedule