Undergraduate Bulletin for 1998-1999

Temple University switchboard: 215-204-7000
TDD: 215-204-5919

Temple University Home Page -- Undergraduate Bulletin Main Page

Student Financial Services

John F. Morris, Director, Student Services
Conwell Hall, Ground Floor
(215) 204-8760

David R. Glezerman, Director, Operations
Carnell Hall, Second Floor
(215) 204-5262

The Department of Student Financial Services (SFS) is located on the ground floor of Conwell and Carnell Halls and the second floor of Carnell Hall.

The main telephone number is (215) 204-2244.

Temple University administers a variety of federal, state, and institutional aid programs.

Application Procedures

Documents Needed to Apply

Applicants should obtain the Undergraduate Financial Aid Application Packet. It contains the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and information about application procedures. This packet is available from the Department of Student Financial Services on each campus.

Ambler Campus, Library 27
(215) 283-1403

Health Sciences Center, LB 41, F.S.U. Bldg.
(215) 707-2667

Tyler Campus, 300 Tyler Hall
(215) 782-2769

Main Campus, Conwell Hall
(215) 204-2244

Application Deadlines

New Students -- March 31
Continuing Students -- March 31

International Students

The Office of International Services, (215) 204-7229, offers limited financial assistance to persons holding non-immigrant visas. Federal regulations limit most financial aid to U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, i.e., permanent resident aliens. Questions about immigrant status should be referred to the office.

Academic Requirements

Applicants for Federal, State, and University financial aid programs administered by Temple University must be accepted for admission or currently enrolled as a matriculated student in a degree or certificate program. Exceptions to this requirement are the Federal Stafford Loan or PLUS Loan Programs. A non-matriculated student may be eligible for a Federal Stafford or PLUS Loan if the student is enrolled in a course of study necessary to prepare for admission in a degree or certificate program. Students enrolled in the Qualifying Program have one 12-month period beginning on the first day of the loan period for which the student is enrolled.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial aid funds are restricted to students who make satisfactory academic progress. This is defined as maintaining a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and successfully completing a specified number of credits per academic year based on the student's enrollment status.

Enrollment Status

Some financial aid programs are restricted to full-time students. Other aid programs are available to both full-time and part-time students.

Students should be aware that dropping and adding courses can affect financial aid eligibility, and they must notify the Department of Student Financial Services of any change in enrollment status.

Academic Dismissal/Reinstatement

Eligibility for financial aid, including federal work-study, ends if a student is academically dismissed.

Financial Aid Eligibility -- Need Analysis

Financial aid is offered to students based on financial need. The federal definition of need is established by the U.S. Department of Education. Need is determined by the following formula:

  Estimated cost of attendance
minus Expected Family Contribution*
minus Expected Financial Aid
equals Need

*Family contribution is determined by a federal formula based on information reported on the student's application.

The result of a need determination is met by a combination of awards called a financial aid package. Packages in 1997-98 generally met 72% of student need, including the Federal Family Educational loans.

Other sources exist that may be available to students for educational assistance. Some of these are private scholarship programs, Cooperative Education programs, Veterans Administration benefits, public assistance, and social security benefits. If outside assistance is received, financial aid awarded by the University may be adjusted.

Independent Student Definition

Federal regulations define an independent student if he/she meets one of the following criteria:

  1. You were born before January 1, 1975.
  2. You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  3. You are a graduate or professional student.
  4. You are married.
  5. You are a ward of the court or both your parents are deceased.
  6. You have legal dependents other than a spouse.

Dependent Students

Federal regulations require that a student not meeting the definition of independent apply as a dependent. These students must provide income, asset, and household information for themselves and their parent(s) (including stepparent(s)).

Educational Budget

Financing one's education takes planning and budgeting. Students should try to plan ahead, anticipating costs and resources, and should request aid for the entire academic year. The basic budget for a year at Temple should include tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, and transportation. Tuition shown in the following examples is for undergraduates attending Main campus. Financial aid awards will be adjusted accordingly for programs having different tuition rates. The figures in the table are based on estimates from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The economy and one's style of living may make actual costs higher or lower.

  In-state Out-of-
Tuition and Fees $6,110 $10,032
Books and Supplies $750 $750
Living Expenses and Transportation $9,980 $10,134
Totals $16,840 $21,916

Financial Aid Notification and Refund Policy

Applicants are notified of aid eligibility by letter after applications have been reviewed. Awarded aid may consist of a combination of grant, loan, and/or work assistance.

Recipients receiving aid in excess of institution charges will receive a refund. Checks are issued according to the University's established schedule, starting immediately after the end of the first week of classes each semester.

Student Employment

Academic Year

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program at Temple promotes part-time employment of college students with demonstrated financial need. FWS is awarded as part of the student's financial aid package, but the award is not credited to the student's institutional charges.

Employment may be within the University or at other public and private non-profit organizations. Each year, the Department of Student Financial Services prepares a catalog listing available FWS positions; however, students are responsible for arranging their own employment.

Summer Sessions

FWS may be earned during summer sessions by students with demonstrated need. Students must be enrolled, matriculated students to be considered for summer awards. To receive a summer FWS award, students are required to file a separate application by March 15 with the Department of Student Financial Services. This application is in addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applications are available from SFS, ground floor, Conwell Hall.

Grants and Scholarships

Website for Temple University Scholarship Opportunities

The following grants and scholarships have individual eligibility requirements and procedures. Be sure to read the requirements for each carefully.

Temple University Grants

Temple University Grants are institutional funds available to students as a way of supplementing other aid sources. These funds are generally awarded based on need.

Elmer Roe Deaver Foundation

Scholarships are available to students based on financial need. Applicants must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in addition to the Deaver Scholarship application.

W. W. Smith Charitable Trust Scholarship

Continuing students who have demonstrated academic achievement (minimum 2.75 grade point average) and financial need are eligible for these annual awards. Awards range from $300 to $1,200 per semester. Eighty awards are granted annually. Students must apply for these awards by mid-April of each year. The application includes a brief essay explaining the student's educational goals and financial barriers to achieving them. A committee selects recipients by mid-July. Applications may be obtained from the Department of Student Financial Services.

The Camille and Bill Cosby Scholarship in Science

This scholarship is awarded annually to an undergraduate student in the junior class majoring in the natural sciences who cannot afford tuition. The recipient is selected by the University's President and receives the scholarship for one year; if the student maintains a 3.0 average in science courses, the scholarship will continue for a second and final year.

The scholarship was established with a $50,000 endowment from the General Foods Corporation in honor of Camille and Bill Cosby and in recognition of their keen interest in and contributions to higher education.

National Merit Scholarships

Students who have achieved finalist status on the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test and the National Achievement Scholarship Qualifying Test and who have indicated Temple University as their first choice college receive a partial four-year tuition scholarship.

Philadelphia Outstanding Achievement Scholarships

Entering freshmen who live and attend high school in Philadelphia may apply. Recipients are generally in the top 10% of their high school graduating classes. Scholarships are renewable for four years as long as the student maintains a 3.0 GPA. Awards are for either half or full tuition. Students are nominated by their high schools. A University committee reviews the nominees and notifies schools and students of their awards, usually by April 15. Students must apply for admission to Temple by March 1. Up to three students may be selected from each nominating high school. Interested students should contact their high school principals or guidance counselors by January 1.

Vivacqua Endowment Scholarships

Temple alumnus John J. Vivacqua, D.D.S., established this fund in 1997 to support excellent students with demonstrable financial need. In order to maximize support for every Vivacqua Scholar, the University will match, on a 1:2 basis, contributions from its own scholarship budget with funds from the endowment.

Vivacqua Scholars are selected annually by the President of the University from applicants accepted for admission for the fall semester of that year, and from current students who meet the scholarship criteria.

Scholarship recipients must be full-time students and maintain a 3.0 average; the scholarship is renewable for up to four years.

Music Grants-In-Aid

Music Grants-In-Aid are awarded on a competitive basis to students of exceptional musical ability. These awards are given to vocalists participating in the various University choirs, and instrumentalists participating in the University Orchestra, bands, and other ensembles. Recipients may matriculate in any of the undergraduate colleges. Prospective applicants should contact the College of Music at (215) 204-8301 to arrange for an interview.

Temple University Diamond Bands

Membership in the Diamond Bands is open to all qualifying students from any school, college, or campus of the University. At Temple, the Bands serve the entire student population; membership, therefore, includes not only music majors, but also a large proportion of students representing almost every academic area of the University.

Scholarships are available to students selected for membership in the Diamond Bands in varying amounts based on participation and musicianship as determined by the College of Music. For further information, contact the Director of Bands, Room 315, Presser Hall, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122 or call (215) 204-8321.

Athletic Scholarships

Athletic scholarships are available in all varsity sports. The number of scholarships, the requirements, standards, and awards are controlled by Temple University and by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For further information, contact the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, (215) 204-7447.

Army ROTC Scholarships and Grants and Air Force ROTC Scholarships

See Military Science under Academic Services and Programs.

State and Federal Grant Programs

To be eligible for the following grants, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Pennsylvania State Grant (PHEAA)

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania funds a grant program for undergraduate Pennsylvania residents who will be matriculated students enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours per semester) and part-time (6-11 credits) during the academic year. This program is administered by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA).

Federal Pell Grants

To be eligible for a Pell Grant, one must be a matriculated student enrolled in an undergraduate degree program who has not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Notification of awards will be made in the student's award letter.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a federal grant program administered by the University. Awards are based on exceptional need and availability of funds.

Student Loans

Federal Perkins Loans

Perkins Loans are made by the University from funds provided by the Federal government. These loans are included as part of the financial aid package. The amount of the loan is based on the student's need and availability of funds.

Federal Family Educational Loans
Federal Stafford Loans

Loans are available to students enrolled for at least six credits per semester. Annual limits are: $2,625 freshmen, $3,500 sophomore, and $5,500 all other undergraduate levels. For all undergraduate study, the maximum that may be borrowed is $23,000.

Unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to independent undergraduate students at a variable interest rate. Dependent students may borrow only if the parent(s) is unable to borrow a PLUS. Loans may be requested up to $10,000 per academic year.

Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Loans are available to the parents of undergraduate students at a variable interest rate. Parents may borrow amounts not to exceed the cost of attendance.

Nursing Student Loans (NSL)

Loans are made by the University from funds provided by the federal government. These loans are included as part of the financial aid package. The amount of the loan is based on the student's need and availability of funds. Students may borrow up to $2,500 per academic year.

Pharmacy Health Profession Loans

Loans are made by the University based on demonstrated financial need. Funds are provided by the federal government. Pharmacy students may borrow a maximum of $2,500 plus the cost of tuition.

Entrance/Exit Interviews

Federal law requires that every student borrowing from the programs listed above have an entrance and/or exit interview. During these sessions, a counselor will explain the provisions of loan repayment and deferment options.

The Department of Student Financial Services will contact students to schedule these interviews at the appropriate times. Stafford loan funds will not be released without the entrance requirement, and students may not graduate until the exit interview is completed. Any student withdrawing from the University before graduation must contact the Department of Student Financial Services, Office of Student Debt Management at (215) 204-5705, to schedule an exit interview. Students failing to do so will have a hold placed on their records.

School and College Loan Fund

Loans are available from the University's individual schools and colleges based on financial need and/or other criteria. Students should contact the appropriate Dean's Office or department chair for more information.

Other Programs

Privately Sponsored Scholarships

Most libraries have books and brochures which list hundreds of scholarships and loan programs. Many of these awards are given to students meeting special conditions such as membership in an ethnic group or religion, academic major, parental employment or labor union association, and parent or student fraternal affiliation.

In addition, a number of Temple's schools and colleges have scholarships available for students in their programs. Details may be found in the individual school or college descriptions.

Comments and questions concerning this web version of the bulletin or requests for adding reference marks for linking to subsections of a page may be sent to Robert Schneider.