Undergraduate Bulletin Updated for 1997-1998

Temple University switchboard: 215-204-7000
TDD: 215-204-5919

Temple University Home Page
Undergraduate Bulletin Main Page -- Academic Policies and Regulations Main Page

Second Degrees

Students may earn second degrees in some schools and colleges of Temple University. Students interested in earning a second degree should consult with the Office of the Dean of the school or college offering the desired degree.

Schools and colleges may waive up to nine credits of degree requirements outside the second major for students who already have a bachelor's degree from Temple University or from another college or university and who desire a second degree from Temple. This waiver pertains to requirements not satisfied by credits transferred from other colleges or universities.

Students who hold their first bachelor's degree from Temple are exempted from courses or course categories required of all undergraduates, such as non-major Core curriculum requirements. However, courses accepted in transfer for a student's first Temple degree may not apply to their second Temple degree, depending on the second degree requirements.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations


A student's academic history is contained in a transcript, which is maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

Official transcripts are issued upon the written request of the student, carry the seal of the Registrar, and are sent directly to another educational institution or a potential employer. The fee is $3.00.

Official transcripts may also be issued directly to the student, but will be identified with information that will indicate to the reader (whether a potential employer or another educational institution) that it was so issued.

Unofficial transcripts do not carry the Seal of the Registrar.

A transcript is considered correct and final one calendar year after it is issued. If a student identifies an error, the Office of the Registrar must be notified in writing within one calendar year.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations

Transfer Between Colleges Within the University

Intra-University Transfer denotes a student's movement from one academic unit within the University to another and/or from one campus to another.

Transfer between academic units is not automatic. If students decide to earn their degrees in an academic unit other than the one in which they are matriculated, they must make application for the transfer during those specific periods which are listed on the academic calendar.

The Intra-University Transfer Form must be filed with the Office of the Dean of the student's current college within the specified period. The student will be notified of the decision of the Office of the Dean of the proposed college within four weeks of submitting the form.

Students may initiate transfer from one college of the University to another if they are in good academic standing, holding a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Higher averages are required by:

In addition to minimum grade point average requirements for intra-University transfer students, the Tyler School of Art has portfolio requirements and the Boyer College of Music has audition requirements.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations

Transfer Credit

Traditionally, Temple University accepts all college-level, liberal arts courses beyond the development level. These courses must have been completed with a grade of CÐ or better, and taken at an accredited institution.

The number of credits that students can transfer from a four-year institution depends on their declared Temple major. However, to earn a degree from Temple, students must complete at least the last 30 hours of the last 45 semester hours as matriculated students at Temple, and fulfill all of the degree requirements of the college or school in which they are enrolled.

The maximum number of semester hours that will be accepted in transfer from a two-year institution or a combination of all two-year institutions attended is 64, whether earned prior to or following credits earned at a four-year institution.

Whenever possible, credit is allowed for courses completed more than 10 years before the date of admission. See Undergraduate Admissions/Transfer Admissions.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations


Official enrollment in a course is the result of tuition payment and confirmation; that is, a student's name will be placed on the official grade list only after the minimum tuition payment is made.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations

Tuition Charges

Undergraduate part-time tuition is assessed on a semester hour basis. Most full-time undergraduate students are charged a flat rate for 12-17 semester hours and per credit hour for each credit over 17.


See Academic Course Load/Tuition and Fees chart.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations

Withdrawal from Classes

Withdrawal from a course is accomplished with a Schedule Revision (Drop/Add) Form, processed through a registration office. During the first two weeks of the semester, students may withdraw with no record of the class appearing on their transcripts. During weeks three through six, students may withdraw with appropriate signatures, but the course remains on the transcript with a notation of "W."

After week six, students may withdraw from classes with appropriate signatures, usually those of the instructor, the adviser, and the Dean's designate. The course will be recorded on the transcript with the instructor's notation of "W," indicating that the student withdrew appropriately and had a passing grade; or a "WF," indicating that the student withdrew with a failing grade. After week twelve, students may not withdraw from courses. See Academic Calendar for 1996-97 or Academic Calendar for 1997-98.

Students may not withdraw from ELECT 1-6 and Mathematics 0015, unless they are withdrawing from the University.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations

Complete Withdrawal Policy

A student may withdraw from the University by filing an official withdrawal with the approval of the Dean of his or her college. The Dean shall determine whether there is legitimate reason for withdrawal with grades of W in all courses in which the student is enrolled, consulting with the instructors when necessary. A grade of W is issued for courses in which the student has a passing average and a WF for courses which the student is failing. The student should present the approved official withdrawal form to his/her campus registration office.

"W" -- indicating that the student withdrew appropriately and with passing grades.
"WF" -- indicating that the student merely discontinued attendance without appropriately withdrawing or was carrying failing grades.

Complete 100% refund of tuition or cancellation of tuition charges will be made only if the withdrawal form is processed by the end of the second week of classes of the fall and spring semesters, and the third day of summer sessions.

Students withdrawing after these periods are responsible for payment of all charges incurred. No refund or adjustments of charges will be made for withdrawals after these periods unless specified under the University's refund policy.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations

Double Major Across Colleges

A student who meets the major requirements of two departments may declare, and have recorded on his or her transcript, a double major. Students who graduate with a double major across two colleges are required to complete all university requirements, the requirements of both majors, but only one set of collegial requirements. The student must obtain prior approval from both schools or colleges. One department must be declared the primary department for the purpose of registration and college graduation requirements.

**  **  **