Undergraduate Bulletin Updated for 1997-1998

Temple University switchboard: 215-204-7000
TDD: 215-204-5919

Temple University Home Page -- Undergraduate Bulletin Main Page

College of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance

founded 1974
Donald Hilsendager, Dean


The teacher education programs in health education and physical education are fully accredited by the State Department of Education in Pennsylvania and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. In addition, the sport management and leisure studies program is fully accredited by the National Recreation and Park Association, and the dance program is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance.

Return to the menu.

Goals and Objectives

The College of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (HPERD) offers a variety of degree programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels designed to meet the educational needs and interests of students preparing for professional careers in health education (community health and teaching), physical education (athletic training, exercise science, teaching/coaching, pre-physical therapy, and human movement studies), sport management and leisure studies (sport and recreation management, therapeutic recreation), and dance (performance, education, production, and choreography).

Return to the menu.


The College of HPERD offers a strong network of spaces and facilities to complement the academic programs. The College administers the following indoor facilities: five dance studios, a media workshop, audio room, computer lab, library, video editing suite, classrooms, racquetball courts, gymnasiums, martial arts areas, weightrooms, gymnastics area, basketball arena, swimming pools, training rooms, a biokinetics research laboratory, and student lounges. Outdoor facilities include the largest permanent astroturf playing field in the world, eight-lane synthetic track, tennis courts, and multi-purpose open areas.

Return to the menu.

Awards and Scholarships

Return to the menu.

Student Associations

Health Education Department
Eta Sigma Gamma is a national professional honorary society in health science whose purpose is to elevate the standards, ideals, competencies, and ethics of professionally trained men and women in the health science discipline. Membership in the Alpha Omicron Chapter is offered to select Temple health education majors who have maintained a GPA of at least 2.5.

Physical Education Department
The Physical Education Undergraduate Major's Association (PEUMA) is a professional organization created to develop fellowship, broaden the cognitive interest of the discipline of human movement, exercise students' rights to participate in the democratic process of the department, and promote professional cooperation among students, faculty, and alumni/ae. Membership is open to all undergraduate physical education majors.

Sport Management and Leisure Studies Department
The Sport and Leisure Studies Club (SLS) is designed to expose therapeutic recreation and sport and recreation management majors to the professional realm through participation in career fairs, networking, and familiarity with available resources. The SLS Club strives to create a learning environment which fosters collegiality and a sense of community. Membership is open to all undergraduate sport management and leisure majors.

Dance Department
Although there is no formal majors association in the dance department, all dance students are offered the opportunity to participate in the democratic process through membership in department committees and assemblies.

Return to the menu.

Policies and Regulations

University policies and regulations generally apply to all undergraduate students and provide a framework within which schools and colleges may specify further conditions or variations appropriate to students in their courses or programs. Policies specific to HPERD follow.

Academic Grievance Procedure
The purpose of an academic grievance procedure is to protect a student from erroneous, inconsistent, or prejudiced academic evaluation. The College of HPERD has established a grievance process which ensures that students are informed of their rights and responsibilities in cases where College or faculty decisions or behaviors are questioned or challenged.

In general, a student should attempt a resolution through discussion with the instructor. Failing an agreement, the student may seek the intervention of the program coordinator or ombudsperson. If unresolved at this level, a formal, written complaint is filed with the department chair. If unresolved at the department level, the Associate Dean convenes a College-wide academic grievance committee to review the grievance and recommend a solution to the Dean of the College, whose decision for the College is final.

For further information and a copy of the Academic Grievance Policies and Procedures, students should contact the Associate Dean for Academic Programs in Room 109, Pearson Hall.

Academic Standing

Satisfactory Academic Progress

  1. Students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 in their majors.
  2. Students must maintain overall GPAs of 2.25.
  3. Physical and health education teacher education majors must achieve a minimum B- in PHETE courses to be recommended for teaching certification in health and physical education.

Dean's List
Students who complete a minimum of 12 semester hours and earn semester GPAs of 3.50 will be placed on the Dean's List. Students who earn I's or NR's for that semester will not be eligible. Dean's List students are notified by letter and their names are posted on academic bulletin boards.

Note: Credit/No Credit courses (CR/NC) and "NR's" and "I's" are not included in the calculation of Dean's List eligibility (12 s.h.).

A student may be placed on probation for any of the following reasons:

A student may be placed on probation no more than two semesters in a row or a maximum of three semesters.

A student may be dismissed for any of the following reasons:

A student who has been dismissed for failure to meet the University's minimum GPA requirement is not permitted to register for any course at Temple University during the period of exclusion. This prohibition includes summer, evening, and continuing education classes.

Students dismissed from the College of HPERD with a cumulative GPA above 2.0 may be eligible to transfer to another college or program within Temple University. However, they will not be permitted to register for courses in HPERD unless the courses are needed to fulfill requirements in another department or program.

Roster for Students on Academic Probation
Students on probation normally carry 12 semester hours. A load greater than 12 may be rostered if a course is being repeated or is needed for graduation. Permission of the adviser, the chairperson, and the Associate Dean is required to carry more than 12 credits while on probation.

Graduation Procedures
Review: In the semester prior to a student's anticipated graduation date, the student must make an appointment with an academic adviser to review outstanding obligations and requirements needed for graduation. The adviser will guide the student in the completion of a summary sheet which lists courses to be taken in the final semester(s). Those who anticipate graduation in May should schedule an appointment early the previous fall semester, and August/January graduates should schedule an appointment the previous spring semester.

Application: Early in the semester in which degree requirements are to be completed, an application for graduation must be completed and submitted to the student's academic adviser. Applications are available from department academic advisers. Deadline for filing is mid-October for January graduation, mid-February for May graduation, and mid-June for August graduation.

Courses Inapplicable to Graduation Requirements
Semester hours in SRAP, ELECT, or Math 0015 do not count toward the minimum number of credits required for graduation. Intra-University Transfer Students transferring from another school or college within Temple University must have a 2.25 GPA and be making satisfactory progress toward a degree to be accepted into the College of HPERD. Students interested in majoring in dance must pass an audition. Students interested in physical education should first meet with an adviser in that department to investigate the program options and available openings. Most schools have a specific period each semester during which students may transfer to other colleges. Consult the 1997-98 Academic Calendar for transfer dates.

There are two types of readmission to the College:

  1. Students who have voluntarily withdrawn from the University but wish to return must file an Application for Undergraduate Readmission with the Associate Dean's Office. The filing deadline for the spring semester is December 15 and August 15 for the fall semester. The total record of a student seeking readmission after an absence of two semesters is subject to review by the department to which the student has applied.
    If readmitted, the student is subject to the degree requirements in force at the time of readmission.
  2. Students who have been dismissed by the College of HPERD may petition for readmission only after a period of at least one semester (summer sessions excluded) if they can demonstrate that their academic or personal circumstances have changed or improved. Any work taken at another institution, unless recommended by a HPERD adviser, will not be applicable to the degree program. A student who has been dismissed and readmitted must meet the conditions outlined in the readmission letter or be subject to a second and final dismissal.

Transfer within HPERD
Students must be in good academic standing to transfer to another department within the College of HPERD.

Acceptance to other programs within the College is not automatic and may be limited by student achievement in specific courses and/or caps governing admission to programs such as athletic training or teacher education.

Transfer from Outside the University
Students who wish to transfer into the College of HPERD from outside the University must be admitted through the University Admissions Office. Once admitted, transfer students are subject to the same rules and regulations as all other students in the College. Transfer credits are evaluated in the Admissions Office. Transfer students from junior, community, or other four-year colleges may transfer up to 64 s.h. Generally, transfer students must complete a minimum of four semesters at Temple to meet most program requirements.

Return to the menu.


Each department assigns an academic adviser to work with undergraduate majors. The advisers are available to answer questions about the curriculum; help students fulfill department and University requirements; discuss professional goals; help select courses; and, for transfer students, review the evaluation of transfer credits. While the College seeks to avoid errors in advising, it is the student's responsibility to know University and College requirements as listed in official University publications and updated through department handbooks and flyers.

Students are urged to consult their advisers immediately regarding academic difficulties.

Return to the menu.

Requirements for the Bachelor's Degree

The College of HPERD offers two degrees:

The B.S. is conferred upon recommendation of the faculty. Students must satisfactorily complete 128 semester hours of credit, and achieve at least a 2.25 cumulative GPA and a 2.50 GPA in the major.

The B.F.A. is conferred upon recommendation of the faculty, satisfactory completion of 125 semester hours of credit, and achievement of at least a 2.25 cumulative GPA and a 2.50 GPA in the major.

The 128 credits (B.S.) and 125 credits (B.F.A.) earned must satisfy:

  1. University Core Curriculum requirements;
  2. College of HPERD requirements;
  3. Department requirements.

HPERD Courses which Satisfy University Core Requirements

Sport Management and Leisure Studies:


Health Education

Sport Management and Leisure Studies

Physical Education

Physical Education


Physical Education

State Certification for Teaching in the Public Schools

The specific curricula in health education and physical education that are designed to prepare licensed teachers and lead to the B.S. degree are organized to meet the standards established by the State Department of Education in Pennsylvania for the Instructional I Certificate.

It should also be noted that, through reciprocal recognition, credentials awarded by Pennsylvania are honored by many other states as well. The teacher preparation programs in the College in health education and physical education are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.

During students' final semesters of work and after the Dean's Office has received their notices of anticipated graduation, students majoring in teacher preparation programs in health education or physical education will receive instructions for processing the application for a teacher's certificate. The application is completed by the student and returned to the College of HPERD. Immediately following confirmation of the degree, the Dean's Office will complete the processing of the application form and will forward it through the College of Education to the state Department of Education, recommending the issuance of the Instructional I Certificate.

All students seeking certification are required to pass standardized competency tests to be eligible for teaching certification.

Students holding a substandard certificate and working toward an Instructional I Certificate must be enrolled in a certification program within the College if they wish the College of HPERD to endorse their application for the certificate

Return to the menu.

**  **  **